We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

i should have taken tyhe advice of anotyher poster and cancelled my reservation but the price was so cheap. I arrived at the airport and handed my reservation to the surly female agent. she looked it over for a few minutes, looked at me and said" we cancelled your reservation because you are late", next." After a few speechless moments I aske what she was talking about. She said if you are 2 hours late we cancel your reservation. I had beenn traveling for 18 hours at that and blew my to[p. i asked her where it said that in the rental agreement. she stared at me and refused to answer. I told her my flight was delayed. she continued to stare at me. I asked for a manager. none was available. i took my cell phone and called the 800 number and within seconds a car was miracuously found. I went tot he Hertz agent next door and told him what happened. he said she was lying. Hertz owns Advantage. i wentto get the car. It was a Nissan Versa. bald tires, no power anything. i havethe car for a week so ai refused to take it. i was finally given a Nissan Sentra which is fine. I intend on followingup witht he corporate office tomorrow. Surly, uncooperative, deceitful. By the way, the peopel in front of us had the same thing happen and were told that they also experienced ths exact same thing but a car was miraculously found for them also.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,750 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

That is disappointing , as I had hoped their new owners (Hertz) would have wanted them to have at least acceptable customer service standards. They picked the wrong guy to pick on in CoachBob- his opinion is well respected here and surely we DE's will take note and warn future customers.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,750 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

I should add that all rental car companies can easily track which flights are coming in late- so that is such baloney. I have been much later than that and still found my car waiting at other renrtal desks... inexcusable in my opinion- and obviously shady!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

Send a complaint to Hertz Corporate.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

If you reserve with a CC, and give them the flight number there is no excuse.

There are plenty who need jobs, get her sacked. I am getting tired of hearing abt substandard service and upselling by lying- they prey on foreign visitors mostly.

Let us know the outcome coachbob.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

You can call Brian Dickerson Staff vice president of Hertz @ (201) 307-2000 email bcdickerson@hertz.com.

Or email to Joseph F. Eckroth Senior Vice President, Global Customer Care:

jeckroth@hertz.com.

Use these if you don't get a satisfactory answer from the customer service line.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

I had a very good first experience with Advantage in Dallas TX (DFW Airport) in early Jan. Look to use them again.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

no doubt it has everything to do with the rental agents. The same with hotels, motels, restaurants.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

I guess it depends on the franchisee, we had appalling service from Dollar MIA which was resolved by Dollar at Fort Lauderdale. We have also had 2 unroadworthy cars from Alamo so I suppose none of them are really dependable. I think it's a case of you pay your money and you take your chance. Sory you had a bad experience Coach.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

Sorry to hear that you started off your vacation with that lame brain idiot, Coach! I do hope you'll take it a step further and complain to the higher ups (thanks miamiyogi for the info!). Her behavior is intolerable and I would hope she's let go. There are too many people who would love to have her job - and who would smile and welcome guests to our destination instead of treating them poorly!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do not!do not use advantage car rental!!!

I reserved a luxury car one month before my trip...when I arrived at the counter, the man told me they did not have any luxury cars available....offered no substitute, basically told me I was out of luck...I pushed until he said he woud substitute an escape for the same price, which I refused...he then offered for me to upgrade to a yukon for an additional fee...when I still objected, he said he would see if he could get me a tank of gas if I agreed to the upgrade. He clicked around on the computer, said he could do that, so since I was stuck with no other option at that point, I agreed if he could throw in a tank of gas, I would do it. Turns out, the tank of gas was charged to me...so he lied about that just to get me to upgrade..so a double whammy. I have several witnesses to his lying to me and I am checking on the legal aspects of this now. In the meantime, I wrote to both Advantage and Hertz and nrither one bothered to reply....