We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

I don't know when it will be on , but our local mold and mildew hovel, Ocean Manor, has been selected for a hotel makeover show on the Travel Channel called Hotel Impossible( which is a good description of that problem child of a property) .

It really has nowhere to go but up a sthe place is a disaster..

Can't help but laugh at the two latest reviews posted by first time posters , each one line long and giving it five stars and calling it the " best hotel in Ft. Lauderdale." What a farce that is- maybe they can also be on a show called Business Ethics Impossible..

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

is that the one across from your place?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

Actually a little further north than our place - very close to that Winn Dixie Shopping center north of us , but not as far north Commercial Blvd. It's famous in our area as the neighborhood problem child.

I see refugees from there and the Ocean Sky ( which has improved a little at least recently but still not a good choice either IMO ) looking for breakfast spots when I take my am walk.

It's a shame really about both places as being on the Ocean would be great- but I had distant relatives who ended up at Ocean Manor and the room they ended up in ( after seeing and rejecting two others) was so bad- plumbing and light fixtures literally falling off the walls and just a train wreck. as far as maintenance I will be interested to see what they do for them- and whether they can do anything about the attitude of the help- they are so used to complaints there that they are hostile to all the customers in anticipation from what I can see.

The series is supposed to start showing on Travel Channel around April 9, so keep your eyes open for the listing- it should be a good little drama- get the popcorn ready! I've never seen such an awful room and according to my relatives the other two were worse and yet they still tried to get them to accept one as habitable. This I think was one of those free vacation/time share tour packages- these distant relatives are from the untraveled, naive branch of the family and called me only after they realized they probably made a big mistake- they spent most of their visit over with us

My guess is the OM is desperate for any infusion of financial help to try to clean up their mess.

Chicago
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

I'm interested in how this turns out, as well. Do you think only a few hotel rooms were re-habbed, or do you think the entire hotel will be fixed? I suppose it depends on how much money they got from the show.

Please keep us posted if you hear anything!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

Yes, I'm curious about that too- a similar show on Food Network called Restaurant Impossible gives the business a $10,000 budget and the services off a designer and construction crew- and that often can provide new flooring, booth seat covers , paint , lighting, etc for the restaurant , but mainly they are cosmetic fix ups. Some of it is quite clever . On that show, the actual restaurant owners are given no input in the makeover decisions at all and are only shown it when the redesign is done.

Since many of the units at OM are condo- hotel rooms and privately owned I assume those would not be involved- I am wondering what they could accomplish in that disaster of a building in a few days and on a limited budget- they have so many problems with major things like plumbing that would require replacements - I can't see how the money could go very far. Maybe at least they will give the place a cleaning- or should I say fumigation..

It's interesting to me that one of the Restaurant Impossible makeovers was for an Italian spot in the small CT town where some of my family live. The program appeared to perform miracles with both the decor and a complete menu makeover and cooking instructions for the family that owned it. But my family told me that within a few months the owners had undone pretty much every improvement and gotten rid of the new menu-and the place was becoming dirty again- and the reviews for it on Trip Advisor are back to being horrible. Can't help but wonder if that is a typical long term outcome for these troubled businesses.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 00:04
Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

i wonder if this will be a one day program or a series. With a small budget not much can be done. And why would they attempt to re-do a motel with many privately owned condos? I have a feeling it may just be some curb appeal.

6. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2012, 20:35
Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

you have got to be kidding!!Lulu is the most informative and helpful person I have ever seen on any forum for trip advisor. She goes out of her way to locate locations and restaurants so she can help people.

what exactly do you contribute to travelers seeking advice?

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

Shemmer. I notice this is your first post. perhaps you are connected in some way to a negative post from forums past? I do believe this site can exist without your negative attitude

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

For Coach and others, here is the local newspaper's story about the Oecan Manor show- the makeover coach redid only three rooms( I guess to show what can/should be done ) and cited non existent housekeeping ( guests had resorted to cleaning the rooms themselves) and lack of communication between various hotel employees as other problems he tackled.

Well, all I can say is it's a start at least...

sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/…1207282.story

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Manor on Hotel Makeover Show

Telling that alocal commenting on the article refers to the hotel as the " Ocean Manure.." I'm afraid,based on what I've seen, that I must agree.

Another local comments that the owner should not have needed a consultant to tell him his hotel is a dump- once again , I concur. You can't go in the place without knowing it is a disaster.