We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

Hi, Just wondering - is there a shuttle or bus of some sort from Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale? The flight I would like to take flies into Miami but I want to stay in Ft L. I don't want to rent a car.

Any info would be appreciated!!!

Jo

Ft. Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
386 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

There is Super Shuttle for I believe $34.00 per person. Please call 305-871-2000.

Bridgetown, Saint...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

I just learned about this service, and it is cheap http://www.tri-rail.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,982 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

The Tri Rail would only be a good idea if you have luggage you easily can manage yourself as you will have to get it on and off the train unassisted fairly quickly and travel by shuttle bus from MIA to their station and then use a taxi at the FLL station to go the rest of the way. It is a light rail commuter service and the Ft. Lauderdale stop is not in a location that is very near the tourist area ( you may find the Airport Tri Rail Station on Griffin Rd is the better one , but still some distance by taxi) If you use the Ft. Lauderdale stop it is not in partiicularly nice area and you won't want to be seen struggling with belongings there. once you get off.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

with the connection of the Orange Metromover line to Miami Intl you no longer need to take a bus to connect to Tri-Rail, however as Lulu says minimum baggage is key to making this connection, as you will have to walk to the Miamimover, ride it the Orange Metrorail line and then transfer to the Tri-Rail, followed by the transfer once you reach Ft Lauderdale.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

thanks very much everyone, sounds do-able with your advice! :)

Jo

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,982 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

Jo- could you be specific about your accommodation location in Ft. Lauderdale? There are some places where not having a car is more difficult than others and perhaps we could advise you better if we knew..

If I were coming off along flight from western Canada, I think I might treat myself to that shuttle ride rather than trying to make all those Tri Rail transfers- I'd want to sit back and be driven to the door. Are you going to have to go through immigration/customs at MIA or are you pre cleard in in Canada? What time of day would you be arriving? If at night, another good reason to opt for the shuttle IMO.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

Hi again, havent booked yet, but looking at - Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort , 4060 Galt Ocean Drive, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 (Formerly "Ramada Plaza Beach Resort") (Central Beach)

We would pre clear customs here in Canada and arrive early evening in Miami....

Jo

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,982 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

Hmmm... Ocean Sky would be about 9 miles from the Ft. Lauderdale Tri Rail Station ( the less desirable area of town) and even further from the Griffin Rd Airport station- so it would be at minimum a $20 taxi ride to get to that hotel after getting off Tri Rail.

I live not too far from Ocean Sky and I have to say it doesn't have the best reputation locally for room maintenance.. though it is better than it's really dumpy neighboring hotel Ocean Manor.

If you are going to choose Ocean Sky I would take that shuttle. rather than pay almost as much ( about $25 as opposed to $34 for the shuttle.)for the Tri Rail /Taxi combo and have to do all that transferring...especially at the Ft. Lauderdale Station at night.

Be aware that you would be staying in a beach area to the north of the main tourist area that is mainly populated by retirees in condominiums. You'll have to travel by bus, trolley or taxi if you want to do most of the things tourists do further south of that area. Those are some of the reasons it is more reasonable in price than other better located and more modern properties.

I hate to keep prying, but are you here strictly for tourism/relaxation or to attend a conference etc.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

LOL, you have been so helpful Luuloo! just planning on relaxation and beach holiday....but its looking like its getting more and more of a headache! ;) now Cabo seems like a better idea! for less money actually!

Jo

10. Re: Miami Airport Shuttle/Bus to Ft. Lauderdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 01:20