We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water taxi worth it?

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
water taxi worth it?

We are staying in a condo directly across A1A to Hollywood beach.

Can anyone give me an idea whether the water taxi rides are a good day trip to Ft. Lauderdale or South Beach. It looks interesting, but I wonder where to stop off to sight see or eat. Anyone have an opinion about it? Thanks for your help.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
790 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water taxi worth it?

If you start you day early enough it's a great way to tour the waterways. You get to see the mansions that you otherwise wouldn't be able to see from a land tour. Also they let get on and off the taxi as many times as you would like in a day. Just beware that the last taxi back to Hollywood beach leaves quite early (in late afternoon, early evening), so don't plan on having dinner in Ft. Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water taxi worth it?

The Water Taxi no longer goes to South Beach- at least they had curtailed that service last I checked. Going north to Ft. Lauderdale, I think it is a very pleasant , slow , scenic ride- and you can hop on and off as much as you like enroute ( a great way to do lunch on the water or design your own pub crawl.) Do check the times and don't miss the last boat back.

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water taxi worth it?

Thanks for the water taxi info- sounds pretty good !

Connecticut
Level Contributor
7 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: water taxi worth it?

Here's the opposite take on the taxi. It has one really noisy engine. After three hours on that thing I was ready to shoot myself. Once was enough for me!

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: water taxi worth it?

I believe it! There seems to be quite a diverse group of taxis...some very small and noisy, others as large as a ferry.

I will tell you that after these replies we decided to try the taxi but never wound up taking one....

We decided to take it from Joe's Tiki Bar in Hollywood, paid to park across the street at the public parking garage and waited with about a dozen other people. The small taxi arrived on time, already full!! The captain said he could take 7 more of us....So a few who hurried got on .( that looked like fun)

The captain said we would have to wait for the next one ( in an hour). We left.Needless to say, we were not happy especially since we'd paid to park.I won't be trying the taxi again.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: water taxi worth it?

That's a shame 40sunny! The water taxi is a wonderful way to see the area and to have a relaxing day on the water. I hope you'll give it another try the next time you're in the area!

7. Re: water taxi worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 22:41