We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Places to stay

Has anyone stayed at the Rod'N'Nod cabin in homassa Springs? You get a little fishing boat. I just wonder if the location is good. Thanks

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
11. Re: Places to stay

flcountrygirl, When we first pulled up to Rod-n-Nod we didn't expect a mobie home/ attached cottage. In fact there was no water in the canal in back! But after we settled in and heard from locals that the river was at it's lowest level in years, and the canal started filling up with water, we started to relax. We were there to use the little motorized canoe and go see manatees! John helped us to install the battery and off we went. The outdoor patio was great, John gave us firewood for the firepit and he even put some kind of underwater flourescent light in the canal at night that attracted fish,turtles and we did see 2 manatees go by. When we were there the neighborhood was quiet. John was seen on his side of the property on occasion, but I think he made it a point to not hang out on his patio, etc. because we were out on ours. I mean it's not the place for a honeymoon but the cottage was cute everything worked bed was comfortable and we loved Hommassa Springs and the local restaurants and bars. John even took us out on his fishing boat for a few hrs. and gave us a tour of the area by water which is not included in the rental. If you want a place on the canal close to everything it's great. Don't go there if its lux or privacy you want. One thing that I didn't care for was that I didn't feel at ease to use the screened in Florida room with the bar because it was also where both entrances were. But with the patio outside our cottage we would only have thought about sitting out there if it had rained. It's not a romantic place, but we had alot of fun seeing the manatees and fishing and the area in general. Could you please reccomend somewhere better in Homassa Springs? It has to be on the water and close to everything. Thanks, Isla

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
12. Re: Places to stay

flcountrygirl, We really enjoyed Rod-N-Nod. When we first gor there we didn't expect a cottage/mobile home. In fact the canal out back had no water in it! I mean we came to use the owners boat and go see the Manatees! But after talking to the locals and hearing that the river was at an all time low, and then it started filling back up, we relaxed. John put the battery in the boat and off we went. The patio was great in especially in the evenings. John provided wood for the firepit and he put some kind of flourescent light in the canal which attractes lts of fish, turtles, crabs and we did see 2 manatees go by. It was very quiet when we were there. I did see the owner on his side of the property on occasion, but I fell he tried to stay off his patio etc. wnenever we were outside. I mean I wouldn't want my honeymoon there. But the cottage was cute, everthing worked etc. John even took us out in his boat for a tour of the area by water, and that is not included in the price of the rental. So I still think it's a nice place for the price and usage of the boat that is in a great location if you are there to see the manatees and the area. Please let us know if there is somewhere better to stay. Sincerely, Isla

fl
6 posts
13. Re: Places to stay

isla1, I drove around to check out some places and I liked Mcrae's. It is right on the water and they have a Tiki bar with music and boat rentals. I have friends who live there and went to visit them and that is what they recommended. So i went for a look and it was nice. As for Rodnnods I wont spend my money there again. John was always in the yard on our side and sitting out on the other side with those poor people, would just come over and join them, Im sure they were annoyed. I know it annoyed me because i went there for quiet, not alot of noise.

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
14. Re: Places to stay

I agree McRae's did look nice. I liked the tiki bar right on the river. Did you find the restaurant called The Cooler? That was my favorite place to eat. Awesome shrimp, fresh from there own shrimp boats. The road to The Cooler is a few streets before you get to McRae's if I remember correctly. There is also a little smoked fish shack when you first get into Old Hommassa. They had excellant ribs and awesome pico de gallo. Did I spell that right? Sounds like some kinda wine! Anyway, I would love to rent a house right on the river near the springs. That would be great especially when the manatees are in the river. Hoping to get back to Homassa soon! Take care, Isla

jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
15. Re: Places to stay

Absolutely loved it. It was quiet and peaceful. The owner, John is friendly and always willing to help out with local knowledge. Easy parking and canoe/kayak access.I will be back.

Savannah, Ga.
2 posts
1 review
16. Re: Places to stay

For those of you reading the posts here....please refer to our entry dated July 15, 2008. We just returned from Rod N Nod. I am not sure what Fl Country Girl is talking about. The Rod N Nod is an EXCELLENT place to stay! I highly recommend it and if you read other reviews......so does everyone else!!!

fl
6 posts
17. Re: Places to stay

Not everyone, other people were looking for a better place it souonds like me

fl
6 posts
18. Re: Places to stay

Crummy crummy place

Weeki Wachee...
1 post
1 review
19. Re: Places to stay

Hello fellow Missourians! Wow what a word huh? I live right next to Homosassa! It rocks. Now here's some real info for you. The Blue Moon is the absolute BOMB!! for couples, adults. It is soooo cool! Rod n' Nod is cool! You get a boat. Margaritagrill has the hugest a*! martaritas ever and they rock. If you go when it's cooler, you can sit out on the back porch and watch the manatees and birds hang out! It's relaxing. I never leave without going there! Rock Crusher Canyon is a MUST-SEE!! Don't miss the chance to check out a now defunct x CIA satellite station. You tell me what was really goin' on there back in the sixties! It's cool and the lake is soooooo clear there. (I've never swam it)! Nature's resort is my most stayed at place though. They have a little bar and grill on site that has music and stuff for the weekends. It's quaint and fun. They have a heated outdoor pool and retro game room, it'll take ya' back to funner times for sure. They frequently have fish fries for everyone and bingo etc. It's just a really cool relaxing easy place. The cabin's at times can be a little musty smelling so make sure you request the new cabins not the little wooden one's right by the bar. Buccaneer Bay is right up the road. It's a natural springs water park with all kinds of things to do and see, including a live mermaid show under water. The only one of it's kind in the world. Man I could go on and on but if you have any questions I'm your guy. Oh and don't miss the State Park right there. Take a river boat to the park and ride a jungle tram back to your car. How many parks do that? There's animals to see and exhibits, feeding a live hippo, stuff like that. Anyway, the point of coming here is not to expect the Disney atmosphere. It's all about together time and RELAXING!! It's a laid back town. Go up to Crystal River and check out the little tea shops and shopping shops...walk the stips and browse the crafts. It's cool!

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
20. Re: Places to stay

We love going to Homosassa Springs! Went over Memorial Day and stayed at the Riverside Resort (thin walls, you can hear your neighbors). We did an airboat tour with Captain Russ from Native Sun Tours (located next door at McRae's) and he was awesome!!! Great tour guide, plus he told us about the local hangout, The Freezer. Best shrimp I have ever had. Love the State Park and Weekie Wachee Springs Park, been to both several times. Going again July 23-26, staying at the Seagrass Resort on Halls River Road. Hopefully, it won't be raining when we leave after on the 23rd, because we want to take the Harley and do some riding through Citrus County.

Get answers to your questions about Homosassa Springs
Recent Conversations
More Homosassa Springs Topics