We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

Can anybody tell me which would be the best Location to stay for one night within this area - we then plan to drive across the state to St Augustines via Mount Dora.

I would also like to include a trip swimming with the manatees ? Is April a good time for this or is it a little bit to late in the season ?

10 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
57 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

Each town has it's own charm. April is a bit late in the season to snorkel with manatees, so your best bet will be in Crystal River. Plantation on Crystal River has a dive shop on property so it's really convenient, make sure to have a reservation in advance as March and April are the busiest times in the area. There's also a best western on the water and two newer properties the Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn.

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

Thanks for your post as it happens we are staying at Plantation - chrystal River !,

We will take your advice and book early in advance - we will be there mid April so hope it isn't too late !

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

HI- my family lives in Crystal River. I would suggest staying at the Holiday Inn Express. It is one of the newest

hotels in the area.

The Plantation is for golfers, and locals will say the restaurant there is overpriced and not too good.

There are always manatees in CR, but the main season is winter. Most will be gone by April. They come into the hot springs - as soon as it warms up, most leave.

There is a bridge on Kings Bay Drive- it is the main road that edges around the bay. (you cant miss it) Just go there early in the morn or evening and you will see them swimming under the little bridge. There is a lane to stand in. It is a residential road with very little traffic.

Have a meal at Cracker's - it is a casual restaurant with one of the best views on Kings Bay.

www.birdsunderwater.com is popular for manatee tours.

The Port Hotel and Marina is one of the closest to the main springs- you may want to check out their marina for a tour. (don't stay there)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

My avatar is a pic I took standing on Kings Bay Drive bridge. last winter. The water there is very clear and you can see the bottom.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

www.porthoteldivecenter.com

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

Thanks very much for the information - we will avoid eating at the hotel and try your suggestion of Crackers.

Hope we see at least a few ?

Really helpful local advice which really helps - appreciate it.

In April do you think it would be best to leave coming to CR as it our last but one evening and do you know how long it is to get to Tampa airport from there

Thanks

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

About 80 miles to the airport. Take the toll road, it will be non stop highway most of the trip, with very little traffic on the toll road. About 1 and 1/2 hour drive.

Hope you see some manatees.

Homosassa has a state park wildlife center that has a manatee rehab program. (Crystal Riv and Homosassa are right next to each other, it is close 15 minutes) It is a nice tourist attraction.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

www.homosassasprings.org

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

www.roccosfamouscafe.com

Roccos italian is very good food.

J M
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?

Thanks for the Kings Bay Drive recommendation.

Reply to: Chrystal river or Homossasa ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Homosassa Springs
More Homosassa Springs Topics