We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in the Keys

Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Honeymoon in the Keys

Planning our Honeymoon in the keys from 2nd Sept for 2 weeks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to make this a memorable honeymoon.

Will we be guaranteed good weather?

Also any places to stay along the way apart from Key West, we definitely want to spend a week there and enjoy the bars and restaurants.

But looking for some nice little beaches along the way and wildlife.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

Are you talking about this Sept, in 2 weeks ? If so, be sure to get accomodation booked if you haven't already.

Unfortunately, September can be rainy. We get frequent thunderstorms in the afternoons. Sometimes they stay out over the ocean and we don't get the rain, but it can be unpredictable. Unless there's a depression or hurricane nearby we don't normally get rain for very long, but Sept is coming into the thick of hurricane season.

I've painted a bleak picture, but you may well be lucky and see just a couple of short thunderstorms and nothing much else. One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that it will be hot !

There's lots of places to stay other than KW. Popular places are Islamorada and Marathon. Neither is compact and walkable like Key West, but they are definitely worth some of your time. If you're planning your whole 2 weeks in the Keys then I'd be inclined to do some more research on the different islands before you make that choice.

We have some decent beaches here, but they are not like,the rest of Florida or the Carribean. Most of the Keys have a rocky shoreline. Marathon has a nice public beach (Sombrero), Bahia Honda state park has a couple of nice beaches. There are also a few beaches in KW. Keep your expectations for beaches on the low side and you'll be fine, we still get a lot of people expecting white sandy beaches.

Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

Thanks so much for your reply. I actually already had both Marathon and Islamorado on my list to visit.

Yup well be there in 2 weeks. I'm guessing hotels book up fast then. Seems a few left on the sites though.

Hurricanes don't sound to inviting. Are they regular in Sept?

3. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 August 2017, 08:58
Edited: 18 August 2017, 08:58
Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

Yes, hotels book up fast here. Even thought Sept is off-season you definitely still need to book ahead - particularly to get good places and prices. You're coming into the Keys over the Labor Day holiday weekend, so you might find it tough to get accommodation for your first couple of days. I'd jump on that right away.

There is often a lot of hurricane activity in September. That doesn't mean you're likely to get a hurricane rip through the Keys, but we can get some crappy weather for a few days if there's a storm within a few hundred miles. A hurricane is always a possibility, but we haven't had much more than a close call for a few years now. You can keep an eye on any activity that might be an issue here http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

I've no idea how I double posted after your post. Can't seem to remove it either ...

Edited: 18 August 2017, 08:56
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
166 reviews
5. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

Congratulations on your wedding. Unfortunately I don't think Robert has painted a bleak picture. September is the height of the rainy season and one of the wettest months of the year. It. Is also statistically the most likely month for a hurricane. I am amazed at how well our tourism industry has convinced people that September is a good month to visit.

I hope you get good weather, but be prepared for some rain and definitely watch the hurricane center website Robert posted. There are three areas in the tropics right now including tropical storm Harvey being watched that have possibility of developing into storms and may very well impact this area with rain and wind over the next week or two.

Edited: 18 August 2017, 09:06
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

Thanks so much for your reply. I actually already had both Marathon and Islamorado on my list to visit.

Yup well be there in 2 weeks. I'm guessing hotels book up fast then. Seems a few left on the sites though.

Hurricanes don't sound to inviting. Are they regular in Sept?

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
166 reviews
7. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

6 is a duplicate post.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,494 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

Am I reading correctly that you are going in a couple of weeks FOR a couple of weeks and don't have hotel reservations yet? If so, even in hurricane season, you need to make some reservations. Be prepared to be surprised by the prices.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
3,388 reviews
9. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

Congratulations on your wedding and we do recommend either Marathon and Islamorado as a base.

We are currently watching 3 possible tropic storms on weather channel, and you do need to be aware of hurricane season.

Awareness is very different from avoiding.

We like Marathon, because it is a small US town with amenities. One can base at Marathon and visit all Keys.

Marathon has a small, nice city beach, and Bahia Honda is across the 7 Mile bridge.

Tiffin, Ohio
Level Contributor
662 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Honeymoon in the Keys

IslamoradA is a great central location. And you're not guaranteed good weather anywhere, especially Florida in September. But prices should be lower and less crowds.

Edited: 18 August 2017, 12:29