We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuel Cost

Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Fuel Cost

What would the fuel cost be from Miami Airport to Key West. Looking at hiring a Ford Mustang

Thx

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Fuel Cost

I would guess about $15 - $20 depending on driving habits and the car's gas mileage.

You will need to use cashless tolls on the Turpike from Miami, so pay attention to those charges. Alamo has one of the most reasonable fees. This site will show you the various fees for each company: https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Fuel Cost

Thanks again for your help SDT.

Hotels booked now so pretty much ready.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
166 reviews
3. Re: Fuel Cost

My pleasure, have a nice trip!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
10,378 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Fuel Cost

Stuey...every Mustang I've ever hired out of FLL or MIA had the 3.7L V6 300hp engine...they get between 20-28 mpg. Lots of starts and stops through the Keys, so figure somewhere in between. Figure about 7 gallons of gas to Key West (about 160 miles)...gas last time I was in Key West was about $2.60 a gallon (much more than Miami)....the car has a 16 gallon fuel tank, so you'll have plenty for awhile. Gas will probably be less further north up the Keys. Miami is about $2.15 a gallon last I checked.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,101 posts
268 reviews
5. Re: Fuel Cost

Yep, as above the cost of gas tends to rise the farther south you get.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Fuel Cost

Actually there are two gas stations in the middle keys that are usually the lowest price in the keys. Merlin and Tim thumb are where we stop on the way home .

Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Fuel Cost

Holy crap your fuel is cheap. We pay $6.76 a gallon here.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Fuel Cost

Yes the cost of fuel in the US is much cheaper than Europe for decades. We were just commenting on the cost in the keys vs mainland Florida and other states. The cost in the us is one of the reasons we still drive our SUVs and trucks, even down here, sigh. Another conversation for another day. I hope

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,562 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Fuel Cost

Yikes, Stuey. I'm headed across the pond next month and will have a rental. Making a mental note now. And I am fairly certain we have a diesel car over there - which makes it more $ ?

PS - yesterday regular unleaded was $2.28 middle Keys. Diesel about $2.40 ish.

Edited: 23 August 2017, 12:33
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Fuel Cost

Where you heading too, if doing many miles a diesel is the way forward.

I have a diesel here, its a few pence cheaper atm than petrol