We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach on the keys

boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
best beach on the keys

I am looking for the best beach and waters to stay at in Febuary. Preferably only halfway down the keys. My wife and I are looking to warm up in the sun with my 2 year old. We would like a nice place with good food nearby. Just relaxing not much else thanks

dwg
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach on the keys

I am going to Cheeca Lodge next month. Supposed to be a nice place with 9 hole golf course, long fishing pier, two pools, including an adult pool, 6 tennis courts, water sports, etc. Its a little pricey but they take AAA. Its in Islamorada, about 1/3 of th way from top of the Keys to Key West. I hear Bahia Honda, public beach, is the best beach in the Keys and is about 1/2 hour (?) drive from Cheeca. Bahia Honda is much closer to Marathon though. I have heard good things about Hawk's Cay from friends. That is right next to Marathon. I will post a report after I return at the end of November.

dwg
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach on the keys

BTW, in case you are wondering, the golf course is 9-hole, all par 3.

Guelph, ON
Level Contributor
320 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beach on the keys

We made our first trip to the Keys last March and would suggest trying to rent a place in Key Colony Beach. We didn't stay there, but after driving through we decided that if we ever came back, that's where we would stay.

Key Colony Beach is a small community tied to Marathon, but it's off the main road and has a community centre, etc. at the beach.

We stayed at the Seashell Beach Resort in Grassy Key, but I don't think we would stay there again.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beach on the keys

I am not sure you will be too happy anywhere in the keys if you are looking for a "beach". Even when they say they have a small beach , it is not a beach with a shoreline you can walk along or have the kids play along the edge. Personally I don't think the keys are the best place to take a child that young. Most of the things that are available to do are on the water- snorkeling, diving, fishing, etc. It's just not that kid friendly for such a small child. I think I would take the advice of trying one of the Florida mainland beaches. Save the keys for an adult getaway trip.

Pensacola, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best beach on the keys

Bahia Honda State Park is the best (and one of the only) beach in the Keys, however they are closed until further notice. Some of the hotels have their own beaches, some don't have beaches at all, so you'd have to check with each one.

Pensacola, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best beach on the keys

Sombrero Beach, on the ocean side in Marathon, is open, I was just there 11/5. Its nice, and about the most sand and shoreline you will find in the keys, besides Bahia Honda SP.

Regina, SK
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best beach on the keys

I'll be visiting Key West in February and was wondering how Smathers Beach and the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor are looking after Wilma. Hoping they weren't hit too hard?

To Keith7 - In my experience, Sombrero Beach in Marathon is the best beach in the Keys. Our kids (older than yours) really enjoyed it. It's nice and sandy, and not too small. But be sure to bring water shoes. There's a small playground there as well for the little ones.

Go to Porky's and Burdines Waterfront for good seafood.

Crystal Bay Resort is a great place to stay in Marathon.

pa
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best beach on the keys

Just returned from KW on Saturday. Zachary Taylor beach was lovely - lots of coral on the beach, so you need reef shoes, but absolutely gorgeous. They were cleaning up SMathers, replacing sand, and had made progress. It will be better than before soon.

Roosevelt was blocked to cars so it was a great bike route.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best beach on the keys

Sombrero is probably the best beach for kids, but Bahia Honda's bayside beach is also popular with families. There's usually quite a bit of seaweed on Bahia Honda's oceanside, and I've noticed that a lot of small children are a little freaked out by it. You also have to haul their gear over the boardwalk from the parking lot, while Sombrero is nice and level.