We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

Planning a trip in August for 5 adults.I have inquired with Homeaway.com and emailed the owner of a townhome on a 100' canal.After reading some other related posts,I'm not quite sure exactly what I might be getting into.Any help would be appreciated.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

Well, I'd LOVE to help. What specific questions do you have?

Lets start with: what street is the townhome on? Does it come with a membership to the Cabana Club? What are your specific fears?

Key Colony Beach is a very safe, very nice are. There are 3 restaurants on the island, walking paths around the whole place, a tennis court, par 3 golf course, Charter boats for fishing, basketball hoop, and much much more.

You are right next to Marathon, an hour from Key West, and an hour from Key Largo.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,486 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

Look at www.vrbo.com and Key Colony Beach realty, both sites have lots of rentals in KCB. The neighbor hood is great and centrally located. As bg said, find out what street it is on and we can help with info.

Key Colony Beach...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

All of KCB is nice. I would ask to see how old the home is, and if it's older has it been renovated. Is it on a Canal? Does it have INch Beach, or Cabana Club or a pool?

Make sure you get plenty of photos of the insides. Sometimes the ads just have photos of the views-if that is so I would ask for inside photos and not rent it if they don't emailo them.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
372 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

Whenever we come to the keys with family we always stay in Key Colony Beach.

I really like the feel of the place; very family friendly, safe and you can walk everywhere. Also, being about half way down the keys, its a convenient 'home base' for trips to Key West, Bahia Honda, Islamorada, etc.

We have never rented from homeaway.com so I can't help you there but we have had good luck with vrbo.com and Exit Realty in Marthon (I like Exit better than Keys Island Realty (located in KCB) because they are not as strict on the Sat - Sat rental agreement). FYI, many owners list their homes for rent with several agencies and on several web pages.

I'm drawing a blank trying to come up with any townhomes on a canal, all the townhomes and condos I can place are on the ocean (except the little one at the golf course) All I can think of are duplex and single family homes on the canals. Can you provide a link or ask a specific question?

Whatever you end up renting, make sure it either has access to the Cabana Club or (in the case of a condo or townhome) has its own pool and beach access.

London
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

We stayed in K.C.B. 2 years ago and loved the place. Rented our condo/duplex from www.vrbo.com and got ourselves a wonderful place halfway down 10th street (sorry but can't remember the number). Better than our own home.

I think all rentals come with free access to the Cabana Club (and the pool is lovely), at least there wasn't any trouble with us getting in, even though the receptionist had lost our vrbo owner's name and rental booking!!! Very friendly people. The beach is great too, its narrow but never crowded. Its a small island and easy to get around, some fabulous homes there. A municipal golf course is right in the middle of the island, hubby used it a couple of times...not up to Tiger's standards....but passed an afternoon on. We walked down to 'sunset beach' corner every evening and watched the beautiful sunsets.

If you want lots of shops, restaurants etc and lots going on, there's always Marathon and its only 5 minutes away.

Don't ever be worried about staying on K.C.B. Its friendly and laidback and you'll never want to leave.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,486 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

Not all the rentals come with Cabana Club membership. We found this out the hard way last year. Rented a place with it's own pool but we still wanted to hang out at CC. Well the owners had dropped their membership and if we want to go to CC we had to pay a daily fee.

London
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

I can imagine that homes with pools don't need the CC membership, but I know what you mean. Its the whole ambience of the place, sat round the pool sipping a marguarita(sp), chatting to others on neighbouring sunbeds, the snack bar, the shop etc. AAAggghhhhh can't wait to get back.

Not this year cos in december we're doing orlando 1 week (just a couple of parks) and 2 weeks at the gulf coast in december, just love it there too, siesta key, st.pete, madeira and fort de soto. Wherever you are in florida its all magic.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

With all of the replys you have gotten, do you have any further specific quesitons that need to be answered about KCB? As BG, me and possibly others own propeties that we rent in KCB. So we have spent more time down there than the average vacationer... Let us know?

Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

Would like to know about your rental at kcb. katsulvan@verizon.net

New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone stayed at Key Colony Beach?

I am traveling in December with my husband and two kids and am trying to decide between Hawks Cay, Tranquility Bay or renting a house in Key colony Beach. What do they offer at the Cabana Club and how is the beach here? Are there any planned activities for the kids and how far are the restaurants. I'm having a hard time deciding on the best vacation for us. Any help would be appreciated.

Get answers to your questions about Key Colony Beach
Recent Conversations