We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Any updates on the projected flights into the Marathon (MTH) airport/middle Keys after 2/17/07????

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Sorry, I've been watching closely but don't have any insight as to what's the hang up there. I checked a few weeks ago and, I think it was Continental, was scheduling MTH-FLL flights but the routes were through Atlanta and running around $500 something one-way. I just tried booking on both the Continental and Delta pages and they don't know what MTH is. Humm, frusterating. You may want to call the airport: 305-289-6060. It would be wonderful if they could get their act together and offer a service similar to the EYW flights.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Sharla2-

I did book an "imaginery" flight thru Delta for April and Delta.com did recognize this airport code. The cost was actually competitive for us to CVG but with only one departure very early in the morning and 2 returns, both thru Atlanta with a layover... But when you consider losing minimally 4 hours driving back and forth to MIA without any wrecks/traffic/unforseeable delays it would be worth it to layover!!!

My concern is when will it really be available to book and rental cars once we get down there to Marathon....

Patty

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

From an e-mail that was forwarded onto homeowners in KCB via the KCB Commissioner's reports....this is what I have been told, I was just looking for a newer update/news!

Friday, December 1, 2006

titled: Mayor has better news about Marthon Airport

.....received a call from Ileana (Ileana is our US Congresswoman: Ileana Ros-Lehtinen) about noon. She said that TSA will provide the screening at the airport starting 2-15-07 and will continue until a private screeners contract is in place. This is what paragraph # 3 says in the letter. So sounds like we are good to go and hopefully long term and a private screeners contract in place for both airports.

Clyde (Mayor for Key Colony Beach)

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Hey Patty, good to hear from you!

I just tried a Delta flight, ORD->MTH and came up with $550 Rt with stop in ATL, 5hr20min - not bad. The flight back was slightly under 7 hrs. All times were reasonable (leaving Chicago at 6am, leaving Marathon around 1pm). I don't mind the drive down much but the trip back to reality is a horrible way to end a great vacation!

Problem is, we get fairly cheap flights into both MIA and FLL (around $200 inc taxes) so I was hoping for multi flights between those airports and MTH at the same price point as EYW (around $180 RT). It is getting closer and when both Delta and Cont. are up and running with regularity there may be more choices with better fares.

We have rented cars at MTH, I think there is Avis, Enterprise and Budget. Not much of a selection (you know how big that parking lot is) but we got a car. I would deffinatley have an advanced reservation and maybe even call the local office before hand.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Sharla2-

Thanks for your info.... Do you own a place down here as well?

Patty

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

haha, in my dreams! I emailed you a few months ago about your duplex rental but you had someone in for the entire month of March. We do the 'walking circuit' in KCB so walk past your place every morning!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Oh Sharla,

Sorry that I did not remember you. I'll blame it on menopause and being more forgetful! Do keep us in mind for another time other than the months of Feb. and March! The rest of the year we rent by the week, Saturday thru Saturday... Patty

Maybe I could use you as a reference to get the word out about how nice our place is and how conveniently located it is in the KCB community!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Flights into Marathon are being discontinued thru Delta in early September.......so this option didnot last very long. We have a flight scheduled in late August, so we just made it before it was discontinued. Too Bad... They are trying to get another airline to replace Delta... Stay tuned!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

They are saying it's coming back for season.

On the positive side, Delta does have a lot of seasonal flights. Lets hope it's true for us.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport flights to Marathon on schedule for Feb. 2007?

Here's the letter I was forwarded :

July 13, 2007

Mr. Peter J. Horton

Director of Airports

Key West International Airport

3491 South Roosevelt Boulevard

Key West, FL 33040

Re: Delta service to Marathon, FL

Dear Peter:

As we discussed, Delta has decided to suspend service between Atlanta and Marathon, FL, effective September 6, 2007.

The runway length of 5008 feet is causing severe payload restrictions for the Delta Connection carriers on the northbound flight, especially during the summer months. The payload restrictions are hampering financial performance to the extent that Delta will have exhausted the revenue guaranty funds as of this month.

We will consider returning to the Marathon airport only at such time when we could serve the market without taking a passenger or baggage penalty. We have asked both Atlantic Southeast Airways and Freedom to evaluate their past performance to determine the takeoff and landing feet needed to avoid restrictions and will share that information with you when it is available.

We appreciate the support we've received from the Marathon community, and regret that we cannot continue to serve the market under current conditions.

Regards.

Joe Esposito

Managing Director – Network Planning

Get answers to your questions about Key Colony Beach
Recent Conversations