We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

John Pennekamp Coral Reef Park - 1 day in Key Largo

Jekyll Island...
Level Contributor
283 posts
508 reviews
Save Topic
John Pennekamp Coral Reef Park - 1 day in Key Largo

We will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a week in mid May and are interested in taking a day trip to Key Largo. The snorkeling trips this park offers sound good. Anyone been on one? What can we expect the water temperature to be in May? Along with snorkeling, we'd like to have lunch at a local place that offers great, not expensive seafood/fresh fish. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
4 replies to this topic
Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: John Pennekamp Coral Reef Park - 1 day in Key Largo

Water in May will be nice, unless we get unusual weather, I'm guessing early to mid 80's. I'd have to look up last years figures to be more exact. The wind will be more of an issue than the water temp. ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS52.KKEY.html

Keep an eye on the forecast for the wind conditions and if possible pick your day based on that. Try not to predict more than a day or 2 out, it chandlers quickly.

Look at the 3rd section down, Hawk Channel, for reef conditions

I'd suggest Keys Fisheries for a fresh seafood/fish lunch. It's a little tucked away about 3 miles south from Pennekamp, make a left at the yellow emergency signal just past the traffic signal where the highway splits. It's not expensive and a nice spot on the marina.

Edited: 17 February 2018, 19:32
Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: John Pennekamp Coral Reef Park - 1 day in Key Largo

*changes quickly* not chandlers !

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: John Pennekamp Coral Reef Park - 1 day in Key Largo

I've been diving John Pennekamp on and around Memorial Day for a few years and have found nice conditions and surface temps in the low-to-mid 80s (~84 degrees, I'm wearing a 3mm "shorty" and quite comfortable for extended time in the water).

I've been out many times with various shops including Rainbow Reef (which may be your best bet for a casual outing).

I can't help you on the seafood front -- it's a karma thing -- I don't eat the fish and the fish don't eat me. ;p

Affordability-wise, my wife (a non-diver that doesn't like to fly) tends to stay home in California on my dive trips, so I often end up at Subway (there is a surprisingly good "gas-station" one in Key Largo), which helps make these annual forays more do-able.

Definitely make a point to visit!

Edited: 05 March 2018, 23:55
Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Jekyll Island...
Level Contributor
283 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: John Pennekamp Coral Reef Park - 1 day in Key Largo