We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
19 helpful votes
Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

Currently in Islamadora and heading to Perry Hotel today and then on to Orchid Inn on Saturday.

Any ideas if the hotels have anything in place, will they shut the hotel down etc..

Looks like our honeymoons going to be ruined :(

Years of saving up and could potentially miss Key West

Gutted

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

Tourist evacuation is expected to be ordered on Wednesday in KW. If I were you I would be doing whatever I could to get out of the Keys sooner than later.

Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
66 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

So sorry for you!! That's terrible!! I also just had to cancel our KW vacation for next week!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,346 posts
22 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

I am sorry your honeymoon is ruined, but you did pick a hurricane state in hurricane season. So ti was always a possibility, however small.

Even if no landfall in the keys, I expect it will be wet and miserable there as the storm passes. So call OI, and ask about their cancellation policy. If they will allow it if evacuation of tourists is ordered, then be ready to call and cancel and book somewhere else on the mainland.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/120644.shtml?cone#contents

All should be clearer tomorrow.

Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

Fingers crossed we can get a car to get out of here.

Its just where to head, thats the dilemma.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,346 posts
22 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

Off the islands, and not in a coastal resort.

If it looks to be heading east, go west to naples. If it looks to be heading west into the gulf thru the keys, look to Ft Lauderdale area or north. There are hotels/motels at exits off I75 and I95 that are inland a bit and well placed to get to. Going up as far as Orlando is always a good choice, due to the large number of hotel rooms there.

6. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 September 2017, 08:23
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
277 reviews
92 helpful votes
7. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

Get out of FL this thing is a monster Cat 5 and will likely impact the state as a Cat 4.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,749 posts
166 reviews
123 helpful votes
8. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

I'm sorry your honeymoon was ruined. However thousands of people stand to lose their homes and possibly their lives. After seeing this mornings update, I strongly suggest you do not come here. My guess is there will be an evacuation order later today and tomorrow. All hotels and other tourism business will close so workers can secure their homes and property. Even if the storm shifts track, there will likely be torrential rain and very high winds.

Hurricanes are a real threat here this time of year. I'm sorry if you were lead to believe otherwise.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
42 reviews
17 helpful votes
9. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

"Tourist evacuation is expected to be ordered on Wednesday in KW. If I were you I would be doing whatever I could to get out of the Keys sooner than later."

+1

There will be a massive traffic jam on the road out of the keys. Sooner is better than later.

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
122 reviews
41 helpful votes
10. Re: Dilemma about Irma as arriving Sat

Go to Orlando- it's an evacuation point and close to a major airport. Avoid anything coastal. Roads will begin to fill up and getting fuel will be hard. People sometimes get stranded due to an inability to get gas or a hotel room. so sorry about this!