We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West Grocery Store

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
Key West Grocery Store

Hi! I searched the boards and many of the entries seem to be a bit old. I will be traveling to Key West with a group at the end of May and we'd like to grab some staples our first day there. I know Faustos has some stuff but we're really looking for a more affordable option. We will eat out sometimes but want provisions at the house for when we want to veg. Is Publix the best place and will a cab take us there? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West Grocery Store

I prefer Publix, but there is also a Winn Dixie. Yes, a cab will take you there. They will even take you to the Publix in Marathon if you would like.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West Grocery Store

I like Publix, too, the new one, in the KMart Shopping Center!!

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West Grocery Store

If you are close to Faustos and can walk, the cab fair will add cost to Publixs.

PJ

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West Grocery Store

The guy we got wanted $50 to hit Publix for 10-15 min before heading to Truman Annex. Regular fare to the annex is $17. He hemmed & hawed a lot coming up with the price. Felt he was trying to screw me. I probably would've thrown him up to $20.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West Grocery Store

You may want to rent a car the first day you are in KW. Then you can go to the grocery store to get your supplies for the week (you could hit K-Mart too for anything you might have forgotten). While you have the car you could easily hit Hog Fish Grill for food - if this is a place you want to go to.

NH
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West Grocery Store

We rented a car for the day when we were down in February. Worked out fine, we ventured over to Hog Fish on Stock Island while we had it too. We just pricelined a car a few days before.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West Grocery Store

Both Publix and Winn Dixie are very similar in my opinion. Winn Dixie has one of those shoppers cards while Publix does not. Also be aware that there is major construction on N. Roosevelt.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,263 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West Grocery Store

Funny thing, we'll go to either Publix or Winn Dixie in Key West, but will only very rarely step inside a Winn Dixie at home. Near our house, Publix stores are MUCH nicer. And we almost always find a reason to swing by KMart in Key West. I got the most awesome sparkly flip flops and gold sequined scarf there in December.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West Grocery Store

Unless your shopping for a couple weeks, you will eat up any savings with taxis or car rentals versus shopping at Faustos. You can also have food delivered if you are staying in. Mr. Z's, Sandys, and Lobos all have very affordable delivery options and Lobos is now open until 10pm.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West Grocery Store

I agree Cruisemom, the Kmart always has specials! And now that Publixs is in the same plaza-with a liquor store right next door, a good place to stock up.