We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
535 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

Hi,

I am taking my son on vacation this summer and his goal is to fish (he would love to catch a marlin). Anyways, he would like to do a private charter one day offshore and the other day possibly a shared charter in the backcountry. Is there any particular places that someone could recommend for both days. It doesn't have to be the same company either. Thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

"Gotcha" for your offshore. Capt Mel Walker. Marlin are a rare thing around here, not impossible but not something we catch off Islamorada often. Sailfish are more common around here but more so in the winter months. We have caught one while dolphin fishing during the summer though.

Robert Klein for your backcountry. If the two of you are going backcountry, I don't really rec sharing on that one.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
535 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

Thanks for the info. Curious...is it harder to catch fish while doing the backcountry? Just wondering why you suggested not share on that one. Also, would you have any contact info. for Robert Klein? I tried searching around on the internet but couldn't find any info. Thanks for all of your help!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

I only know how to find him through Google, I no longer have his number. He often fishes out of Lor a lei.

With backcountry you're going to be on a small flats boat. Tight quarters.

Tarpon are just now showing up, usually not around as much over the summer, but ask your guide how it's going when you get here. If you haven't done that -OMG fun as hell!! If they are still around when you get here I highly recommend, esp if you haven't tried it yet.

If I can find his number I will pass it on. It's possible it could be in one box (I moved a few months ago and haven't emptied a lot of stuff yet) If you talk to Capt Mel with Gotcha, he may have it.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

Google 'Robert Klein Islamorada' - his number came right up as well as bios and video of him fishing.

http://www.loreleicabanabar.com/marina.htm

a lot of great guides on that list. I have heard of many of them and talked to a few but don't 'know' them. I do know Knowles and Brewer and can suggest them too as well as Tim Klein. I don't think you can go wrong. If your first pick isn't avl - listen to who they suggest.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
535 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. My son loves to fish so I'm sure he's going to have a blast!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

When are you going on your trip? We have (2) fishing charters planned for when we are down there (end of May), one offshore / one flats & I could let you know how our's go if you'd like. Both new charters/capt's/guides to us.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
535 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

We are going at the beginning of August. Definitely let me know your thoughts on both of the charters :-) Thanks!

8. Re: Fishing Recommendations in Islamorada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada
Recent Conversations