We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay

Which Marathon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
place to stay

Which is a nicer place to stay for a couple in their late 50's who like to snorkle and swim in the calm ocean in March ?

Valhalla point resort or a condo next to Hawks Cay resort

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to stay

Condo next to Hawks Cay? Not sure which you are talking about. If it's on Duck Key it will likely be on a canal. Not the best for swimming. Not much snorkeling from shore anyway. But you can swim off of Valhalla.

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to stay

I think you're referring the the Villas at Hawks Cay. No snorkeling or swimming from there. You'd have to go into the resort. If you want to swim from shore you're better off at Valhalla. For good snorkeling, use one of the snorkel operations in town, such as Spirit Snorkel at Captain Pip's Marina.

Framingham
Level Contributor
58 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to stay

most of the reviews of places in marathon are either for places that are very expensive - over 300 in january or not rated well. only want 2 nights.

want nice, clean good bed, quiet, not interested in drinking, snorkeling or even a beach.

any suggestions?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to stay

Conch Key Cottages, White Sands, Sea Dell, Lime Tree Bay..........

new jersey
Level Contributor
103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to stay

if you want to go a bit further down, I would highly recommend Parmers Resort... its fairly close to Bahia Honda state park, which runs snorkle trips from the park. Parmers is reasonably priced, includes breakfast, and you get your own 'cottage'... is clean, quiet, and the people who run it are unbelievably friendly.

Lancaster, Pa
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to stay

Important thing to remember is that almost all "beaches" are going to be small and man made, then a LONG stretch of seagrass and murky water, then deeper water, then farther out the reef, NOT within a swimmable distance. I personally really like Valhalla Point Resort (the one at the tip of the land) so I have a bias. i like it since you can snorkle around the mangroves edging the shore about 40 feet from the beach and see mangrove snapper, snook, barracuda and around back the boat docks have a resident moray (or did) as well as a variety of small fish. But remember viability is not generally great close to shore anywhere and you really do need to get out on a boat to the reefs to see a real variety of fish. I just personally like being able to swim for a minute from the room and just float watching all the life around the mangrove roots

Edited: 07 December 2011, 14:51
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to stay

I saw Lime Tree Bay mentioned and just had to say, LTB is a great place to stay and does have pretty good snorkeling just off property. The only warning . . .TINY bathrooms!!! Good luck in making your decision!

Downers Grove...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: place to stay

I am traveling to the Keys with my two 20 year old children early April. They would like to snorkel, canoe or kayak, maybe learn to sail, and maybe deep see fishing. It seems like the Marathon Key area is what we want. Are there any places to stay that won't cost $200 and up that you would recommend?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: place to stay

See post #4 above.

Downers Grove...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: place to stay

Thank you. Where would you suggest we go for snorkeling - off the beach - or an outfitter. If an outfitter - which one? Are there reefs off the beaches? Any suggestions for renting canoes? Where is a good spot to canoe? One last thing - does anyone near Marathon Key teach parasailing or surfing - or is the water too calm for surfing?