We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car or don't rent a car?

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
610 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
rent a car or don't rent a car?

I know you all have a lot on your plate with the Irma aftermath, so I apologize in advance for asking advise right now. Four of us will be flying into MIA on 10/11. We are staying in South Beach for 4 nights before a Caribbean Cruise (yes, we know...). Anyway, we were originally thinking of renting a car to drive around and see things, do a day trip to the Keys (that is definitely out), etc. Obviously we won't be driving to the Keys and I am not sure how many other places are accessible without getting in the way of the cleanup, so I am thinking it may no longer make sense to rent a car. How is the public transportation around South Beach? We are staying at the Urbanica on Meridian Avenue. Thanks and good luck with everything!

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rent a car or don't rent a car?

No need to apologize--this is a travel site and I take no offense to people inquiring about their hard earned vacations.

Miami and Miami Beach took less of a hit than other areas in FL. As for transportation, no need for a rental car (plus overnight parking)...there is Uber, Citibike rentals throughout South Beach, SWOOP (free golf cart taxi service that operates on tips), the 25 cent Local bus that does a loop around the island, and taxi. Much cheaper than a rental car. Plenty to do for 4 days in South Beach or you can take an inexpensive Uber ride one afternoon to Wynwood or Little Havana if you feel the need. Enjoy.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,818 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rent a car or don't rent a car?

As above, no need for a rental if you just want to stay local. Aside from the Keys, you could visit another part of FL if you'd like, stick to the east coast though.

3. Re: rent a car or don't rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2018, 01:19