We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

Hello all, We have just returned from an idyllic holiday in Florida. Our only issue has been with our car hire.

First of all, don't believe it when Budget tells you that you will get a free upgrade, it won't be there. I base this assumption not only on my own experience, but on those of no less than five others who also found no upgrades available.

But that is the least of my problems. When picking up the car (the only car available), we noticed many black scuff marks on the back of the white car as well as stains on the interior. We showed them to the employee at the gate where you leave the premesis, and we were told that they were duly noted and we would not be held responsible for them.

However, today I have received notice that I have been charged 85 dollars 'excessive soilage fee' and I know that we did not spill anything in the car. We rented the car for 35 days, were they expecting us to wash it as well?

I have written a letter to Budget, disputing the charge. I will write again with the outcome, but in the meantime, I wanted to give a heads-up to those planning vacations.

usrentacar.com were fabulous, though. :) The voucher worked as it should, making the rental process rather simple.

Happy vacationing!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

Sorry to hear about this, but it really seems to me that this is a growing problem with rental companies charging us for things that just not our fault, you can see by the number of issues on here about similar instances.

What can we do to protect ourselves from these damn companies, they all seem equally as bad.

We got a charge of £126 this year by Alamo after we got back for a upgrade which we did not want or ask for. We where blatently conned, and there was nothing we could do about it, they are taking advantage of us Brits, after our long flights etc!

Anyone any handy hints on how to overcome these issues with car hire companies?

They are turning me into a grumpy old woman.......lol!

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

Brits>

I do not think it is a Brit thing.

If - like most people - you have a celllphone cam, snap a few pics of any damage to the car when you rent it. ASK if you might have a car that is not damaged and if there is no car, get it in writing that you took a damaged one...

Go back to the agent and SEE the paperwork with the diagram of the car and make certain there is a written proof of any damage BEFORE you rent it to have in hand at the return. ASK the full name of the agent, get a business card or have them pen their full name on the rental document.

In sum -> Be a PAIN in their POSTERIOR or they might be one in yours.

Make certain the credit card you use for the rental has auto insurance available or - buyer protection service. CALL and ask the card service before your trip. Ask about trip insurance as well - it is 150% worth it to know that any misadventure is covered (lost luggage, missed plane connections, hazardous weather, ANYTHING that changes your plans including transport OUT if someone gets sick).

If you find ANYTHING amiss at the billing time, CALL BACK and tell them you want that buyer protection to remove the charge.

AG

Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

just adding, my latest statement now has another 140 dollar charge, this one without explanation. Please, consider using another company.

Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

My credit card company finally got the charges cleared, in case anyone was following. I am coming to Florida again next year but will be choosing another company.

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

We've always used Budget in the past, but we were really disappointed with them last year.

After trying to scam us by giving us a smaller car, the car was dirty car and really needed a service. Huge q and no upgrade as we normally get. It wasn't the cheapest rental either, so won't be rushing to use them again.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

Glad to hear you go this resolved - dragging on since September.....

Some of the other companies may be just as bad. Last time I rented from Alamo in Miami I found several of their cars dirty inside (the outsides had been washed but the insides had not been cleaned since the last rental). At least we could choose another car from their lot.

Good advice from AdvisorGirl, though I don't think credit cards outside the US have the auto insurance available (they may offer other protection).

I used to rent a lot of cars for business and lost count of the times I had problems regarding prior damage - make sure you get it signed in and out.

7. Re: Watch out for Budget at Miami Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 02:17