We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to spend the most time possible at Everglades

Nevada
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to spend the most time possible at Everglades

Hi

I will be in the Miami area for the first time in May.

I only have one day, and I am hoping to spend it at Everglades National Park.

It looks to me that it would be easier and faster to get the Everglades National Park from the Fort Lauderdale airport then the Miami airport.

I am looking to spend the most time possible in the park. Also it is much cheaper to fly into Ft Lauderdale.

I am flying from Reno-Tahoe area to Miami to catch a flight to Argentina from Miami airport.

As I am flying a day early so I don't have to worry about missing my Argentina flight, I want to fly into Ft Lauderdale, rent a car, and stay at a cheaper Ft Lauderdale airport hotel off of priceline or hotwire.

The next day I hope to drive early to Everglades National Park to spend the day, then return the car to the Miami airport about 5:00 PM for my 9:00 PM flight to Argentina.

On the return home I would leave from the Miami airport because it would be much more convenient not to change airports and I will be in a hurry to get home, as my son graduates from college the next day!

Does this sound like a workable plan?

Thanks

Nevada
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking to spend the most time possible at Everglades

What’s funny is sometimes fate decides for us!

Yesterday I was bucked of off my backyard horse, a roily poly Mustang that is to full of himself. Lucky for me he is short, so it was not far to the ground. However I landed on my shoulder, so no kayaking for me for a while. Bike riding in Shark Valley it is! Ha-ha maybe some Cuban food also.

I will be back from Argentina in June. I will post on how my day went, as I see there are a lot of people like me, who have only one day before cruises or international flights.

Thanks Again

KP

Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking to spend the most time possible at Everglades

Make sure you bring your sunscreen, insect repellant and water. Besides the bike ride and the tram tour (make sure you go up the Observatory Tower to enjoy the view and possible slight breeze) at Shark Valley, I also recommend getting an airboat ride through the Everglades. There are a couple of places just before and there after S.V. You can always ask the local rangers for suggestions too. Hope you have an awesome time!

BTW, if you dont have time to eat at a local cuban restaurant, remember there is always one in the actual (MIA) airport, La Carreta. Enjoy.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking to spend the most time possible at Everglades

Yikes - - hope your shoulder heals soon.

You'll enjoy the trip to Shark Valley. After a few miles from the visitor center, you'll find yourself alone out there (between trams!) - very stark but compelling landscapes. Plan to pack a picnic lunch as there isn't a lot on the road in terms of food.

If you have the time, continue a little further to Clyde Butcher's gallery www.clydebutcher.com Incredible photos of the Everglades. It's about 20 miles past Shark Valley.

14. Re: Looking to spend the most time possible at Everglades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2010, 00:15