We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

United States
Level Contributor
214 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

We have a 4 hour layover at Miami Airport arriving next Friday at 6:00 PM. We are looking for recommendations for a restaurant and /or other things to do.

We are not looking for fine dining and big $, but a nice moderately-priced restaurant that would be unique to Miami; i.e.cuban, peruvian, latin - Ideally, with no need for reservations. Coconut Grove was recommended by our Travel Agent; but I also heard about little Havana, and Lincoln Road, although Lincoln may be too far for the time we have.

Also, what price can we expect to pay for a cab, or other transportation?

Thanks in advance.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

Based on your schedule, I personally wouldn't risk the Beach or the Grove at that hour because of traffic. So while it's not my favorite, maybe a trip to Little Havana is in order. The cab fare will be $25-$30 each way before tip.

I would eat at Versailles (SW 35th & 8 street). Decent authentic Cuban food. Take time to go to the counter after dinner and order a cafesito and listen to the old timers discuss latin politics (in spanish of course)

Edited: 28 April 2010, 10:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

Really sorry to bump here but I was thinking along the same lines!

I have a 3 hour layover at Miami in June and was thinking the same sort of thing. Can anyone tell me if you can actually leave the airport mid international flight? I am a kiwi and will be coming from London to Cancun.

Thanks heaps

United States
Level Contributor
214 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

Miami,

I found the express bus to the beach. For only $2.35 pp, we can go to Lincoln Road to/from MIA. That was our plan, until I read your post about skipping the beach due to traffic. Now I am concerned about that plan.

Will traffic be that much of a problem?

Any places near / on Lincoln Road to recommend?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

With a 4-hour layover I wouldn't even think of leaving the airport, traffic or no traffic. You might just have time to grab a bite to eat before you have to go through security to head for your departing gate.

It's been some years but I think there is a restaurant at the airport that has cuban/latin american food.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

Well I was thinking 30 mins to Little Havana, 30 mins back 1 hour for lunch = 2hours, leaving an entire hour to get back to the airport and having an hour left over to get through security. Hence the recommendation.

I was looking at the express bus schedule, and the schedule makes it seem like its 30mins to the beach. It has been my experience with Miami-Dade bus system that the schedule can vary by as much as 30mins. I don't see how you could get from the beach to airport @ 8PM on a Friday in 30mins. I would say 45 mins at the least.

There are risks, just yesterday the 836, (the main highway to and from the beach) was shut down in the eastbound direction because of a boat trailer accident. I'm sure the delay was upwards of 1- 1.5 hours.

@kiwimel- I don't have an answer for you. I am under the impression that you will go through US Customs and Immigration (but I just don't know). At any rate I think 3 hours is going to be a bit short. The name of the resturant in the airport is LaCaretta. Good decent Cuban food.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

Glad to hear La Caretta is still there. Perhaps you can let Markinova know by which security entrance it is near by.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

The sitdown LaCaretta is located just inside of Concourse D. They used to have another mini version outside of security, but I don't remember where that one is.

United States
Level Contributor
214 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

Thanks for the information all.

Wow, originally I thought 4 hours would be plenty of time to at least go to the Beach and walk Lincoln Road. We may have to reconsider leaving the airport at all.

Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

A 4 hr layover on a FRIDAY night is just not enough time to leave the airport area in Miami's traffic. Depending on where you come from you may have to retrieve & re-check your baggage & then you have to go thru security when you get back. And I certainly wouldn't try the Versailles on a Friday night. The crowd can be heavy & you may have a long wait for a table. Fortunately there is a branch of the La Carreta chain in the airport. It is owned by the same family that owns the Versailles, and while the menu is more limited, the Cuban staple dishes are about the same.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Layover at Miami Airport - Restaurant or other things to do.

I actually have about a 4 hour layover at MIA as well, on a Monday though, arriving at 9:40am from Punta Cana, DR (PUJ) and departing at 1:30pm for Dallas, TX (DFW). I wont have any check in luggage, just myself and a small carry-on, any suggestions? I've heard coral gables is quite nice..