We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

Hi, we are 4 middle aged Aussies doing a drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days during October. Can you please tell me the best route to take, things to do and see along the way bearing in mind that we are quite active but not what you would call hikers so no climbing great mountains please! :) We are also not great fans of museums.

Also if you could recommend good hotels to stay in as well would be fantastic. We have a budget of about $130 per night.

Thanks for all your help!

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

flossy>

Mountains? In Florida? We are a flat and bushy territory so no worries! Log onto google maps and create your own trip guide. Plan it, map it and print it out before you leave home.

For great food ideas www.roadfood.com

Google says in actual road hours you need about 16 total to cover 914 miles. It will be less expensive to stay in motels (motor hotels) en route.

In Florida, you take the turnpike through Orlando. After that - 75 north. You pass through Valdosta, Macon, Atlanta, Chattanooga and on to I-24 & 40 to Nashville.

Post your hotel and food questions on the forums of cities listed above to get good local info. Roadfood.com has forums as well.

In Orlando - I like the food and drink at a pub called "The Ravenous Pig" in Winter Park. Near Atlanta, Fat Matt's Rib Shack, Mary Mac's Tea room, and Son's Place BBQ.

Have a great time!!

AG

Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

A couple of years ago we did the trip but actually just crammed the 4 days into 1 day of straight 14 hours driving. We really wanted to see more of Tennessee than Florida. Autumn is beautiful in Tennessee. Florida is just flat and busy. Florida is known for its beaches, state parks, heat and humidity. The 14 hours might be overwhelming for you, but Tennessee is worth a sacrifice during this time of the year.

If you insist in doing it in 4 days and want some scenic roads...I would....go up I-95 to Daytona. (Its 4 to 5 hours from MIA to Daytona) Daytona Beach has beaches you can actually drive on. Then continue north on A1A., instead of I-95. Not many people know that this stretch A1A up to St. Augustine is a very scenic highway... since the beach will be on your righthand side and virtually no condos or apts blocking the view. Just you, the road and beach breeze. I suggest you open your windows during this piece and take the fresh air and enjoy the crashing waves. You can take a day at St. Augustine if you'd like. It is a very historical place you can spend the day, just one day.. (Fountain of Youth, Lighthouse, first school on record in US, forts, there is a whole town of historical places that you can walk through).

Then I'd work my way towards Georgia. Atlanta has the Coca-Cola Museum. They also have a wonderful aquarium. The Georgia Aquarium. Everyone raves about it.

Two hours north of Atlanta is Chattanooga. There you have Rock City, Inclined Railway, Ruby Falls and lots of historical places. From Chattanooga to Nashville its about another 2 hours driving. I must say that the view from Nashville to Chattanooga on the interstate is much more awe inspiring than the other way around. I dont know why but the view is not the same.

Some places that you really will enjoy seeing the autumn leaves fall is Fall Creek Falls. This is a state park that has an inn for about $70/night. They have a small restaurant at the park that offers buffet meals. The park has a bunch of trails, but the most beautiful thing it has are the FALLS. There are a couple of them that dont require much work to get to at all. I do recommend this park. The inn is by the lake. In the fall, when the trees behind the lake are changing and the reflection of these colors hit the lake, it looks amazingly beautiful. This park is about 2 hours east of Nashville. It is also 2 hours west of Gatlinburg.

Gatlinburg is also a very nice place to visit during the fall. You might enjoy going during their annual Craftsman's Fair. The smokies are beautiful and there is just a bunch to see.

I hope these ideas help. Again, I think you might enjoy Tennessee more, simply because of the time of the year....and because the whole state is beautiful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

Thank you so much for your fabulous replies. I probably should have said that after leaving Nashville we propose to travel to Charleston, then on to Savannah before going back to Miami. For this part of the trip we have allocated 6 nights. Will the outline you have provided still work with this in mind? So, just to recap. It's a round trip from Miami via Nashville, Charleston and Savannah - 10 nights in all. Hope I haven't stuffed up your most welcomed suggestions...

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

You'll probably get some detailed suggestions about Chattanooga if you post on the TN forum, as there are several very active TA members who live in the Chattanooga area. There is an interesting acquarium in town that some visitors prefer over the Atlanta acquarium (but I haven't seen the one in Atlanta and so can't compare).

Fall Creek Falls is a really nice state park; however, it's not on the usual route between Chattanooga and Nashville (Interstate 24); rather, it is off of state highway 111 near the small town of Spencer. The most scenic part of TN is in the eastern part of the state, especially the Smokies and the national forests (but these areas don't seem to be on your planned route).

In Georgia an interesting stop just off of I-75 at exit 109 (south of Atlanta), there's a fun shop called "We're Nuts," which sells dozens of kind of pecans and peanuts (among other items) and offers free samples of their products.

The Andersonville prison site would be a short detour in south Georgia; there is a prisoner of war museum representing all US wars and interesting ranger-led tours of the Civil War prison area (primarily of interest to history buffs, probably).

Florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

Just to get a better idea of things....when you say 'roundtrip from Miami via Nashville, Charleston and Savannah'.....are you returning for the roundtrip to Miami or staying in Savannah?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

Hi Cuchuflee, we were planning on picking up the car in Miami and returning it in Miami as we are going on a cruise that leaves from Miami. Having said that, we will do this leg of our almost 7 week holiday after the cruise and it looks as though another poster has suggested that we take the car from Miami and leave it in Nashville going via Savannah and Charleston (which we want to see). When I originally posted this I was thinking of getting to Nashville from Miami by heading towards St Petersburg and Tallahassee to get to Nashville. Obviously you guys didn't know I was thinking that because I failed to tell you! Sorry. :( In another post I then looked for info from Ashville, Charleston to Savannah. Now I know I really should have put it all together in the one post because I think I it is now confusing even for me!

All in all, you all have been very helpful and I'm piecing it together now. :)

7. Re: drive from Miami to Nashville in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 02:27