We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

England
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

Looking for advice. We'll be flying into Miami airport (much cheaper than Orlando) arriving on a Friday around 3pm, hiring a car from Alamo.

We have accomodation booked in Orlando from Saturday.

Ideally we would like to drive out of Miami on the Friday, to get a head start on saturday, but are aware we have to stop somewhere for the night. Is there anywhere along the coast that would be suitable and how long would it take us from the airport at that time of day.I guess 2 hour drive is the absolute max after a 10hour flight.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,552 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

Well, I would suggest just getting a hotel there, and spending the evening at Bayside in DT. Go to bed early and get up early (both easy to do with yoru jet lag) and then drive up in the am. You will be ready to go early, and will be in orlando 10-12noon. This is what we always do when catching a flight to MIA. Esp as the best way to go is the turnpike and it is not really near the coast.

But if you insist on driving, then maybe stay in FL or Jupiter. In FL you could stay near the Sawgrall mills outlet mall as it has hotels and entertainment venues. In Jupiter, you could stya on the beach.

England
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

Thanks. How long would it take us to Jupiter or FL and what's the best way there?

Can you park in Bayside (DT = Downtown?) any hotel recommendations?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,552 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

There is a parking garage at Bayside, or you can get a taxi (or even walk from some DT hotels). WE usually get a 3* on priceline DT.

Timings for FL and Jupiter will vary dramatically depending on if you can get thru and out before the rush hour starts. And as i said, we don't do that from miami (maybe way back) as we sopend the night in miami.

Use google maps for driving times/routes. FL is probably I95, and Jupiter can use either I95 or the turnpike. I'd use the turnpike esp during rush hour.

England
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

Thanks,will cosider both options.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

If you arrive about 3 pm, it might take at least an hour to get through Customs and into a rental car.

So you are likely to have rush hour traffic. Then again, you'd have it in the morning, too.

Google Maps will provide you a route to the Turnpike (ask Alamo whether your car has a toll transponder for electronic payment). There will be hotels at most of the Turnpike's exits, though the Turnpike in general has little business development at its exits, unlike Interstate 95.

The drive from Miami to Orlando is maybe a bit over 3 hours, so stopping somewhere in Palm Beach County should be feasible. Best would be road 808, Boca Raton exit. Two hotels at the exit and many more to the east, near the shopping mall.

6. Re: Roadtrip - Miami to Orlando after flight from UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 01:16