We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
43 posts
51 reviews
Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

Hi there,

my bf and i will be coming flying to Miami June 8-15th. We decided we would stay in Miami from Weds to Sat and then go to Orlando. I have called our travel co to try and change the flight to come back from Orlando instead but it would cost us $180 to do this and i'm not sure that it would be worth it. The return back to Canada leaves at 2 pm on the 15th and i can't seem to find any shuttles that leave Orlando in the morning to go back to Miami. We are planning to rent a car anyways when we are in Orlando, should we just rent the car in Miami and drive there instead of taking the shuttle?? I saw that there are some tolls that we would have to pay if we were to drive there ourselfs...what do you guys think?

Best Seller
Speedboat Sightseeing Tour of Miami
176 Reviews
from US$38.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Miami to Key West Day Trip with...
33 Reviews
from US$39.00*
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
1. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

Definitely rent a car ... even with the tolls it would probably be cheaper than other transportation. But you do not have to use the toll roads to get to Orlando. I take it you'll be staying near Kissimmee and not Orlando proper?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
43 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

we are staying at THE FLORIDA HOTEL AND CONFERENCE CENTER in orlando.

most of the shuttles we found are $35 one day so it's not too bad but if we do use the shuttle to go back to miami we will have to leave the night before i think and not like we were hoping to the day of. So maybe the car would be better.

what is the best route to take if we were to drive? quick as possible but as cheap as possible since there's tolls? I read on some forum, not sure if it was on here, but it said something close to $50 in tolls??? that sounds quite expensive

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,189 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

Tolls are about $15 each way from Miami to Kisssimmee( where the Disney exit is) depending on how far south in Miami you get on - I think it is much better than taking I-95 and hitting heavy traffic in Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach- you'll probably save 30 min or so in travel each way .. Just be sure you know what your rental car company charges to use the toll transponder ( Sunpass) they have installed in the car - Dollar is famous for hosing people- others seem not so bad .

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
4. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

If you're leaving Miami before 3 pm (or after 7pm) then you can take I-95 and head north. Then to cut across towards Orlando you have two options. Either take the Turnpike at Ft. Pierce (this would be about half of the Turnpike distance) or continue on I-95 and come off on Hwy 192 to head West towards I-4.

Check any of the online map services to see those routes.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

Hi!

I recommend sticking with the Turnpike, its a straight shot, its comfortable, and there is a service plaza every 40-50 miles (+/-) where you can relax if you want and get a bite to eat. The bathrooms are also usually immaculate. Tolls will no where be near $50! Here's the skinny on what the agencies charge for tolls: https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Dollar/Thrifty/Sunshine

Must opt in or decline at rental. $6.99/day unlimited tolls. If you don't opt in you are subject to a $25 admin fee + $36.99 (OUCH)

Avis/Hertz/Advantage/Budget/National/Alamo/Enterprise

Opt in is automatic when traveling through a Sunpass lane or a cashless road. A small admin fee is charged plus tolls (2.50/day). There is a max fee that varies between $7-$10 either rental period or per week...access link above for details.

Saludos,

Yogi

Boston
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

if you're able to consider it one way, it's $100 to fly

7. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 16:35
Edmonton
Level Contributor
43 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

Thanks everybody, appreciate it!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,011 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

I would rent the car, but not from Dollar/Thrifty as they are the most expensive fdor cashless tolls (unless you get off the turnpike before Dade county).

It will be faster and cheaper.

10. Re: Miami to Orlando and back? Shuttle or rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 05:22