We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

We re-routed our babymoon trip from Miami Beach to Naples after finding out about Hip Hop Weekend. The Loews was great, canceled our reservation without any issues, and even suggested other properties for us to stay in over that weekend. Prices were sky high northwards of the Loews, so we opted for the western coast.

Now, for the drive from Miami to Naples. Zoom through on I-75 or is Highway 41 more scenic? We'll be doing the drive around 2pm, and from what I understand either route takes around 2 hours. Also, any approximation on how many toll stops there are?

Ohio
Level Contributor
515 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

What part of Naples?

There is one toll booth from the East Coast over to Naples on Alligator Alley. I believe the toll is $2.50

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

Staying at the Ritz up near the Vanderbilt Beach area.

Ohio
Level Contributor
515 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

Either way would be fine. As you mentioned, US 41 is more scenic and both would take around 2 hours. I personally do not like taking 41 as there are no rest stops inbetween West Miami and East Naples.

Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

Alligator Alley (I-75) is faster but so boring it should be used as an enhanced interrogation technique.

US - 41-Tamiami Trail- is actually interesting because you go thru the Miccosukkee reservation where you can stop & sight see & buy souveniers; You can photograph America's smallest free standing Post Office in Ochopee; take a detour to the Shark Valley section of the National park; or another to Everglades City (where you can imagine yourself back in the 1920's by having lunch on the verandah of the Rod & Gun Club). You can kill a day sightseeing on US-41 if you want to.

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
104 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

I would take the US - 41-Tamiami Trail without blinking twice! Much more to see , the I-75 is quicker , but very boring . Mind you , if you take the Tamiami Trail, it will take you more than 2 hours to get to Naples , but it is much more enjoyable.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
133 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

We took 41 in March from the Miami Airport to Marco Island at it took less than 2 hours

Be careful of speed traps - we saw them each way on our drive

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

I have driven both, and if you like highway safety, then take I-75. US 41 is a two-lane blacktop with narrow shoulders and lots of little bridges and bridge abutments. One of the purposes of the interstate highway system is to create safer highways to reduce traffic accidents.

You can be hung up on US 41 by slow-moving vehicles. On I-75, you will be left in the dust if you travel at just 70 mph.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

I drove across 41 earlier this week. Constant speed of about 60 MPH, giving much better mileage than driving on I-75.

Made two stops, a brief one at Ochopee Florida Post Office, which claims to be the nation's

smallest post office. And a longer one at Miccosukee Resort & Gaming where we broke even on the machines and had an OK lunch.

Sure a lot more fun than driving on I-75!

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

I drove from Naples to Miami and back in late March on Alligator Alley. Didn't see one speed Trap took approx. 1.5 hrs. at 70mph.

It's not a bad drive- all straight through, enjoy!

10. Re: Miami to Naples - Hwy 41 or I-75?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 08:21