We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
576 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

We will be in Miami in August before and after a cruise and I am starting my search for a hotel, but before I start I want to know the difference between staying in Miami Beach or South Beach.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

Miami Beach is a city on an island about 3 miles offshore from the city of Miami. It is about a mile wide and nine miles long.

South Beach is the southermost 2.5 miles of Miami Beach. It is not a city, just a neighborhood within Miami Beach. It is the most popular area for tourists because of the art deco buildings, many hotels, restaurants, clubs etc.

Edit: The 4 miles or so just north of south beach are popularly known as mid-beach, and the section north of mid-beach is known as "north beach".

Edited: 30 March 2012, 12:14
Santa Fe
Level Contributor
576 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

Well the reason I ask is because I found some really nice hotels and at a good rate Miami Beach. If we stay on Miami Beach will we be too far from restaurants and shops?

We are not into nightlife at all and prefer a quiter and less crowded place. Also, we prefer a beach with less nude or topless women and more children friendly.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

Sounds like mid-beach may be right for you. There are a number of great hotels right on the beach or across the street. Look for addresses on Collins Avenue higher than 2400 (lower than that would be south beach). The odd-numbered addresses on Collins back up directly to the beach. Of course check reviews here at TA for specific hotels, or let us know which one you are considering.

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

Re. distance, no, mid-beach is not too far, usually not walking distance but you can get a cab to Lincoln Road Mall or Ocean Drive for $10 to $20 depending on how far you're staying. Distance between mid-beach and south beach restaurants may range from half a mile to 5 miles. There are also buses on Collins Ave.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

South Beach (no one except travel writers call it "SoBe") couild be defined (look at a map) as the area bouned on the north by Dade Boulevard and 23d street, on the west by Biscayne Bay, on the south by Government Cut (the cshipping channel) and on the east by the ocean. The area most frequented by visitors is that portion of it along Washington and Collins Avenues and Ocean Drive, and their connecting side streets, and also by Lincoln Road, a pedestrian-mall popular and busy thoroughfare that parallels 17th street and is one block south of it. Most of the night life (and noise) is along Washington and Collins Avenues and Ocean Drive. Ocean Dribe tends to have the most noise, at least south of 11th street.

Nudity is neither allowed nor practiced in Miami Beach. Topless is allowed, but is not common, and is rarely seen north of 11th or 12th streets.

There are many many good hotels of varying sizes and for different budgets north of South Beach.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

So be it.

7. Re: Difference Between Miami Beach and South Beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 05:31