We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless Area of South Beach

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Topless Area of South Beach

I understand that all of South Beach allows topless sunbathing. But I'm curious if there is a particular section of South Beach where it is more prominent? We are also looking for a good hotel that isn't very kid friendly. We're thinking the Surfcomber or Shore Club...thoughts from those who know are greatly appreciated!!

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

raw>

Is NOT kid friendly? I know the Standard does not even allow kids but it is not on the sand.

When are you visiting?

Your 2 choices are good for plenty of beachy action. The Shore Club may be more of a party spot and the Surfcomber will probably be a little nicer hotel overall.

As to the b@@bies - there is not set spot where they pop out. It is legal and because South Beach attracts women from all over the world and many cultures accept topless sunbathing - you will surely run into your share of them if you are DETERMINED to see. If you pick one of the 2 hotels you mentioned, walk SOUTH on the sand and try not to STARE.

Here is my guide to more fun stuff besides boobs -

www.tinyurl.com/SOBE-AG

Fun & free drinks - southbeach-usa.com/news/dining/happy-hours-m…

: )

AG

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

Thanks AG - yes, not kid-friendly. We are leaving our kids at home, so don't want to be bothered by anyone else's!!

And the reason for the topless comment is that my wife wants to do it...but doesn't want to feel like she's only one of just a few on a crowded beach.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

Raw>

Walk south, sightsee... when she feels OK with the area - she can let herself fly free!

AG

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

Topless sunbathing is okay all over South Beach, so you can relax. If your wife is looking to be comfortable by being with like-minded people, I suggest the beach area around the Delano and south of there. Also, read the posts by SoBe Fan who has some wisdom on this subject.. Bottom line -- if your wife takes off her top on South Beach, many more women are likely to follow. That has been our experience.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

Topless on the beach here is allowed. It's usually found south of 15th street (the Ocean Drive area). Most women on the beach don't do it, but some do, and don't be disappointed if it doesn't draw any attention!

If you go to the north section of Haulover Beach, about 9 miles to the north - the S and 120 buses go there - total nudity is legal and is the norm, and even the minority of non-nude women there are almost all topless.

West Palm Beach
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

I know I'm late on this. We live here and topless friendly is almost everywhere. I have seen topless women as far north as Boca Raton and Boynton Beach beaches. Fort Lauderdale is probably the exception. Southbeach is topfree common place from 10th street down to the inlet. Its funny but when my wife I go without kids (about 6 times a year) all the women around decide they want to try it too.

Where to stay is easy. If you are thinking kid-free the Perry (used to be the Gansevoort) is awesome! In fact the roof-top pool is topless friendly and a great party. Its about 24th street but the beach is accepting of topless there too.

Hope your trip was fun and let us know how it went.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

R>

The Perry Hotel is undergoing massive construction and the rooftop is currently closed.

When it finishes rehab it will be great - but not right now...

Many many many guests were not told about the current construction when they reserved and their holidays were ruined:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34439-d781663-…

AG

Edited: 05 April 2013, 08:06
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

The Clevelander is an over 21s property right on the beach... no kids allowed.

These days topless sunbathing is becoming less frequent in SoBe. I have lived here for 5 years, and when I first moved, it seemed very accepted. However, the more guys that stare and take pics, the less women are now removing their tops. I can't recall the last time I saw a girl topless on the beach here. I know it is accepted... but no one really does it these days.

Jess

Allentown...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

I go to Miami several times a year, all of Miami Beach is topless. It is not just South Beach as one might think. I have stayed as at the top of North beach and it is still topless. However it is not as common in the north end as it is in South Beach. I like North beach more so then South beach as it is more quiet and there is a lot of shopping near by. (Malls). I enjoy going topless and never feel like I am being looked at like a piece of meat. So if you are looking for a quiet beach and still want to go topless then North Miami Beach is where you want to go.

Allentown...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Topless Area of South Beach

I go to Miami several times a year and found that all of Miami Beach is topless. I stay at the top of North beach and there are woman topless on the beach. It is not as common as it is in South beach but you can still go topless. My wife likes the North Beach because it is more quiet and she enjoys going topless and she feels comfortable there. So if you are looking for a quiet beach and still want to go topless this is the beach for you.