We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat to Key West

Cleveland
Level Contributor
108 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Boat to Key West

Does anyone have info on the day trip to Key West from Ft Myers?

How was it?

Any tips?

rochester, ny
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat to Key West

It's a long trip (about 3 1/2 hrs each way) and leaves from Marco or Ft Myers. Coast was about $125 but I don't know this year. I've never gone but have heard stories from folks that did. It's a lot of time on a boat for a short time in Key West. It leaves to come back about 6 pm. In my opinion, the Keys are too beautiful to do in that short a time. Think about driving and staying for 2 nights. You need to enjoy the keys in a more relaxed way; the drive is absolutely lovely!

Wilmington, Vermont
Level Contributor
118 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat to Key West

A better alternative is to fly from Naples Munipcial Airport or RSW to Key West. Trip is about 45 minutes each way.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat to Key West

They have been running a special for $99.00 on the boat to Key West but everyone that I know who has taken it said it is noisy and very rough...many people get seasick. I agree...drive! We live north of Ft. Myers but drive to the Keys as often as we can..we love taking the Tamiami Trail (hiway 41) and meander down that way rather than I75 and Alligator Alley. It is a fantastic (but granted) long drive down but I do not htink you will regret it.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat to Key West

I have taken the boat and had mixed experiences. Yes, the seas can be rough and people do end up seasick. On a perfect day, it is fun, but time in Key West is very short. I prefer to drive 41 through the Everglades and then hit the Turnpike to Homestead where it ends and you have another 2 - 3 hour drive through the Keys with many spots having water on both sides and a variety of places for sightseeing and stopping.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat to Key West

I would take the plane from Naples to Key West. It will not be cancelled because of high seas, you are guarenteed a seat (may have to sit outside on boat), trip time is faster, and no added fees.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat to Key West

If you take the boat can you stay the night and catch the boat back the next day? I thought I read somewhere that you could do that.

Chester UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat to Key West

We did the trip last year and had a great day. We were told that we could book the tickets to return the following day but decided against it.....wish we had stayed over tho. We will definately go back and plan somewhere to stay over before we go. The main drawback about doing a daytrip is the amount of time in Key West, we took the conch train tour then we had lunch and a walk round and thats about all we had time for.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat to Key West

The boat from Marco Island to Key West was not a pleasant trip. The day that we went the seas were very rough and they only way to not be seasick was to sit on the outside deck. However, on the deck you do get some spray from the ocean. I thought it would be better than driving, but I was wrong. I would definitely recommend to stay the night if you are taking the boat, because otherwise you are not left with much time to enjoy Key West. I don't know if I would ever take the boat trip again. It was a different experince, but not enjoyable after a night of partying in Key West. Hope this helps.

Naples, FL
Level Contributor
89 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat to Key West

We did the boat ride from Ft Myers to Key West. (It only operates from Marco during season - Jan - March.)

We stayed overnight 2 nights at a B&B and then took the boat back to Ft Myers. It was much more enjoyable than driving! :-)

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat to Key West

Does anyone know which airline flys from Naples to Key West and how much the fare it?