We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter or August?

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Easter or August?

Just got back, and we're already planning our next trip..... It's going to be a big family trip in 2019 but we are going to be restricted when we can go so options are Easter half term or Summer 6 week holiday.....I know these are going to be busy times but question is how which time would be best for crowds and cost..... Thank you

15 replies to this topic
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter or August?

Although a lot hotter & high humidity I’d go for August..

Easter is the secon busiest time of the year after Christmas/New Year..

The end of August, quietens off quite a bit compared with early August, though can still be busy..

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter or August?

We have been both. Normally go at Easter but last time we went in Aug due to kids GCSEs ,

Yes the last week in Aug did get abit quieter but out of the two I would rather go at Easter , very humid in Aug and quiet abit of rain almost every day a storm , Easter yes busy but we found weather better . .had to change a lot of days around due to weather in Aug .

Cost we found it around the same price , anytime in school holidays is not going to be cheap.

But u could be lucky with the weather in Aug who is to say , I am sure you are going to get mixed reviews on this question .

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter or August?

August - weather is a bit brutal, flights are expensive but accomodation may be a bit cheaper.

Easter - crowds are brutal, better weather, accomodation usually a bit more expensive but flights are cheaper.

We've done both and will never do Easter again, I'd rather deal with the heat than those crowds.

Ideally, get as late in the Summer Holidays as you can as it is quieter towards the end of August.

Boston
Level Contributor
116 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter or August?

We went Easter week for years. It can be crowded but the weather is so much nicer. If you stay on site you can make use of the early and late entry and then hop to another quieter park. We've been in August and it is far too hot and humid to enjoy the parks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
162 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter or August?

This past August we had to leave Universal in the early afternoon and cool off in our air-conditioned room and then hotel pool, didn't make it back to the parks until abt 5 pm. Kids loved Universal but it was simply too hot to enjoy it! I think it really comes down to whether you would rather deal with the crowds or the weather. It will be more crowded around Easter but much more pleasant to walk around; August will, in all likelihood, be brutally hot but a bit less busy.

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter or August?

I’d pick Easter due to the better weather, yes it will be very busy but we spend Christmas in Orlando so know what busy is. As long as you accept you might not do everything you want and just go with the flow you’ll have a great time. When we’ve been in August I just melted to a greasy blob.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
22,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter or August?

I would pick Easter. The August weather is brutal and there are still crowds-many U.S. schools don't go back until after Labor Day so late August can be a last hurrah for many. For Disney,get your Fast Passes as soon as possible, get to the parks 30 minutes before they open,take a midday break for a swim and lunch,make your ADRs for character meals and enjoy . For Universal, if you can swing it, its worth it to stay at one of the hotels that includes the Express Pass in the rate-we like the Hard rock

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter or August?

It really depends on what is more bothersome to you, crowds or heat. Crowds are more unpleasant to us than heat, so I'd say August. The last time we went at Easter it just was not enjoyable at all.

sugar land, texas
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter or August?

Agree with anon about crowds vs heat.

I vote crowds!!

We go in March for Spring Break.

This is peak season and pretty crowded.

The weather can vary.

We have had mostly nice weather. It can be cooler in the mornings and evenings with hot sun between 11 and 3.

Last year we got a cold front and it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit on a few days. It was funny to see Alice in Wonderland with gloves on.

I found it was a lot nicer being cold on a sunny day vs hot.

That said, it is usually not cold at Easter.

Also we love the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. The park is really beautiful then.

We used to be miserable during summer visits.

August is soooooo hot!

With FPs available, there is not so much need to worry about the crowds, IMO.

I’ll take them and spring weather over heat any time.

I am from the gulf coast region of TX and we have similar weather. We stay indoors in the a/c most of the summer.

The heat can actually be dangerous. 100 degree days are not unheard of.

Beware the sun, even in Spring. Don’t let the besutiful weather fool you. Apply sunscreen often and find shade.

Edited: 15 October 2017, 09:26
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter or August?

Thanks everyone great info....I think a family meeting is needed.....my husband does not deal with heat to well so i'm swaying towards Easter. It also means the holiday will come around sooner, yay.

Reply to: Easter or August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted