We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

We travelled to Orlando International Airport from Dublin with Aer Lingus on the 23rd September 2017. Although our flight landed slightly earlier than the 6:35pm due time once the aircraft had docked, it was at least 25 minutes before anybody was able to leave the aircraft.

Then due to Orlando Airport renovations you queue for at least 20 minutes to get on the tram to take you to the central building to pickup your bags. Then we waited 1hr and 20 mins for our bags.

Then to cap it all for us there were only two agents at the Avis Rental desk, taking at least 15 mins to deal with each car rental.

From landing to leaving the airport was 2hrs and 15 mins, if it wasn't for Dublin PreClearance this could so easily have been more than three hours

We have travelled to this airport many times from Edinburgh Scotland via London, Dublin and other US Hub airports, this was the worst experience ever at Orlando.

Will start using Tampa Airport again

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
510 Reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Special Offer
Icon Orlando, Madame Tussauds, and...
21 Reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
155 Reviews
from US$118.99*
9 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

Tampa has construction too.

And if you had joined Avis preferred there would have been no wait.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,858 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

I agree with amanx. Your mistake was in not joining and using Avis Preferred. You could have completely avoided that long line at the Avis desk.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

A problem at the Tampa Airport is you have to drive through Tampa and then get to Orlando. While your experience was certainly frustrating You might need to think of having to do everything and getting out of the Tampa airport in an hour and 15 minutes to make up for it. Even with preclearance in Dublin that will probably still be a bit hard.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

Of course you landed at one of the busiest times for the airport. When all of the flights are landing from your neck of the woods. Granted, you didn't have to go thru Immigrations and Customs, but many large aircraft each had hundreds of passengers trying to disembark and get to the trams. The ramp service personnel (luggage) can only handle thousands of bags in a reasonable time.

I totally sympathize with your frustration, after a long overseas flight. But, you have to realize that all airports, to remain viable, MUST do expansion and renovation. This latest expansion process is to eliminate many of the exact problems that you encountered.

Joining the loyalty program of your rental car company could have eliminated some of your wait. And think of how much more user friendly MCO will be on your next arrival.

Hope that your next arrival at MCO or long drive TPA will be more pleasant.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
19,939 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

It really was just bad luck plus the improvements to the airport don't affect all gates but I believe Aer Lingus gates are affected

We have flown into TPA - last year in fact - and the drive from the airport at rush hour isn't the best (especially if your husband thinks he knows better than the GPS) 😡

We use Avis preferred so straight to garage - and even faster with the app

Edited: 15 October 2017, 10:24
Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

Should also have said ....

I am registered with Avis Preferred, they couldn't find my registration details on the system so I had to stand in line at the Avis desk.

At the rental desk two people serving, serving two renters, waiting in front of me there was another two renters and it still was nearly 30 mins before I was served. Because I made it immediately clear (as in so many other times renting through Avis) I wasn't interested in any upgrades, extended insurance cover and any other up selling they are trying to punt I had the vehicle docs in 8 mins.

Before you think I'm just a Scottish tourist moaning about Avis ..

Avis in June this year at Dulles Airport were VERY good, Tampa last September VERY good, June last year at Denver Airport again VERY good.

The few times we landed in Sanford Orlando Airport has always been very good, in fact one year from landing to driving out of the airport was 30 mins.

Also regarding my plans to use Tampa next time, unlike the majority of UK holidaymakers who haven't seen outside Orlando we don't "do" the parks and always head to the Fort Myers beach Area.

But flying into Fort Myers is always $250 extra per person so it's normally the cheaper of Tampa or Orlando we choose. We chose Orlando this time because was nearly $300 cheaper than routing via Tampa

Last September flying into Tampa, from landing and leaving the airport was just under one hour, this included US Immigration and Avis Car Rental.

Would just love to know when the Orlando International Airport Construction is due completion.

We've been coming to Florida in September/October every year since 1984

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,543 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

We too are with Avis preferred and were waiting 30 min at the desk at MCO a few weeks ago. They also had lost my details and there was a long queue with only 2 people serving.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,858 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

" They also had lost my details"

Did you bring a (paper) printout from home with all that information?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,543 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems

It wasn't really as straight forward as that - they admitted their system was at fault.

Reply to: 23rd September - Arrival Into Orlando Airport Problems
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted