We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

Hi from Australia. Our family of 5 is staying at Port Orleans Resort,WDW Sept/Oct. We fly in via LA, after going through immigration there and arrive at Orlando Airport at 7p.m. after nearly 20 hours of flying with 3 children. I am not really happy with the idea of someone else collecting our bags OR waiting another 3 or 4 hours for them at our resort. Some questios:

1) Can we claim the bags ourselves and take them on the Disney Coach?

2) How long does the coach take - does it drop a whole lot of people off at other resorts on the way?

3) If you choose to take the bags with you, can you specify that online?

4) Can you also take your bags with you on the coach when leaving?

I'm starting to think it may be easier to hire our own transport?? Any help would be appreciated! Tricia

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
763 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

I always carry my bag back to the bus for the return trip too. With a flight time of 8am, you will probably be picked up at your hotel by DME at about 5am.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

PattieG,

Actually, you don't have any decision to make about your out-bound flight, because you won't be eligible to use the luggage service for your flight to Buffalo.

The service is separate from DME. It's called Resort Airline Check-in. The RAC desk at each resort is open daily from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. Bags must be completely checked through in the computer by not later than 3 hours prior to flight time. They are VERY strict about this. Actually, the computer system is very strict about this ... and if you miss it by a minute, then you've missed it. Period.

Since your flight leaves at 8:00 a.m., precisely 3 hours before your flight is 5:00 a.m. Yes, the desk opens at 5:00 a.m., but your transaction won't be completed by then ... it takes a minute or 2 or 3, just like when you do it at the airport.

Since your transaction can't be completed 3 hours before your scheduled flight departure, you are ineligible to use RAC.

You will have no other option but to take your bags to the DME bus with you. The driver will load them under the bus, and you'll get them back as soon as you arrive at the airport.

DME drops off guests at Level 1. But departures/ticketing is on Level 3. You need to enter the terminal building and take one of the many many elevators up to Level 3. Once there, you can go to your airline's ticket counter or go outside and use your airline's curbside check-in service, if they have one.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

Thank you, guys. On rechecking our outgoing flight details to Buffalo, we depart at 8.20a.m., so that might give us some extra time to play with. I really appreciate everyone's tips. Thanks from Down Under! Tricia

Milton Keynes, Bucks
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

Here are 1 or 2 things that you may want to think about.

Because you live outside of North America you will not receive the Yellow ME luggage tags. Instead, you have to give the people at the ME desk the baggage label stubs that you received when you checked in your baggage.

The other point is that you will be clearing immigration at LA. At LA you will have to collect your luggage and then give it back so that it can be put on to your connecting flight. As your connecting flight is an internal one and you do not have to go through immigration again at MCO then I believe, and the others can correct me if I am wrong, that you have the option of letting the ME service collect your luggage or collect it yourself and take it to the ME desk. If you let the ME service collect your luggage firstly you will not know if it made it to Orlando from LA and secondly, as you have handed over your baggage stubs this could present a problem if all of your baggage has not made it to Orlando.

If I had your travel plans I think that I would collect my luggage nyself and take it to the ME desk.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

We went to POR last August and decided to use the ME to get from the airport to POR - we didn't receive any luggage tags and when I rang Disney about this I was told that international customers don't get this service?!

So we got our own bags and made our way to the buses - it's one hell of a hike through the airport! The girl we found at a Disney desk sent us the wrong way too!!

We had our suitcases put on the underneath of the coach and then we sat on the coach for over an hour! The driver was outside and we were made to wait for that long, we were really fed up as we were very tired and just wanted to get something decent to eat as we'd flown with Virgin and the food had been terrible!

We finally arrived at POR about 45 minutes after leaving the airport as POR was the last drop off and the driver got lost?!!!!

We wished we'd hired a car in the end and not used ME as it wasn't very magical for us!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

Thank you. Looks like ME has some mixed feedback. Will get our own bags if we use the service to POR. Just don't want too many hassles after flying for 20 hours with 3 kids! All feedback much appreciated. Tricia, Australia

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

whomewhy,

Wow, sorry to hear about the bad experience you had.

What you experienced, though, was the bus driver and/or dispatcher breaking Disney's policies and procedures. It is NOT supposed to be that way.

Disney's internal policy/procedure is that a bus must leave the airport not later than 30 minutes after the first guest boards.

As for my own personal experiences ...

Twice, once around 9:30 a.m. and once around 10 p.m., we pulled out of the airport with only about 12 guests on-board. Both times were similar ... we weren't the first ones on the bus, and we sat for about 10-15 minutes 'til we left.

18. Re: Disney's Magical Express Transportation - Own Baggage Claim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 01:18