We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet on I Drive

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quiet on I Drive

Have just returned from Orlando. Stayed at the Homewood Suites on International Drive and couldn't believe how quiet International Drive was both day and night, it was quite eerie sometimes.

Does anyone else, who has been there recently, think International Drive was quiet. I have been there several times before and it was always buzzing. Maybe it is the credit crunch or is something happening that I don't know about.

Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Special Offer
The Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Admission
53 reviews
from US$25.99*
US$29.29
ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet on I Drive

we felt the same, stayed in the same hotel as you, most restaurants i.e bahama breeze, tgi,s, tony romas and a few others further down international drive with almost no waiting for tables, pointe orlando was deserted and we found universal and busch gardens very quite with wait times of 10-15mins, we rode the bigger rides twice stepped off and back on again although the disney parks got packed early but we found they eased off in the evenings, the one place i saw that was always busy was the miller alehouse as they seemed to be doing specials all day

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet on I Drive

We were in the Miller's Ale House several times and it was always buzzing their cocktails were out of this world and the food was good as well (notice what I enjoyed in the Ale House most). Another resident in the hotel was in the Ale House one evening and there was a bit of a brawl with the police having to be called so that put me off a bit.

We also found the Univeral Parks and Seaworld not as busy as usual, probably a blessing. Even when we went to Kennedy it was really quiet, every show was not even half full, that was to our benefit but just wondered why everywhere was so quiet.

ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet on I Drive

as you say it has to be the credit crunch effect, even disney and universal are reporting huge losses so far this year

UK
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet on I Drive

It is rather strange at the moment. We have posters on saying how busy it is and then we have others like you saying it is very quiet. I must admit when we went in Feb it was very quiet.

I have a theory that it is those staying on site at Disney that find it busy.. the parks being full of people who have got big deals at Disney. They are doing so many deals that the parks will be full but with people not spending. Outside Disney it will be quiet as people are not getting free food or half price accomodation. J.

ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet on I Drive

i agree before we went to orlando disney were offering stay 3 nights and get a fourth free {or something along those lines ] and also the dining plan offers, as i said the disney parks were crazy on the days we went and i got the impression most of the people were staying on site at disney as the disney buses were always full

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet on I Drive

Hi

we stayed at Homewood suites in March and it eas very quite on International drive ...going back in November (getting married there) and saved a wopping £494 on Virgin flights booking through www.travelsupermarket.com ...i know Jason doesnt belive be but its true Virgin quoted £1396 for the same flights (flights only no hotel) ABZ to LGW with flybe and Virgin LGW TO MCO ...and the comparison site price was £902.00

Annie

UK
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet on I Drive

Hi. Its not that I dont believe you. I just could not find Aberdeen to MCO on the Virgin Atlantic site. The only quote given when I checked it was for about £1000 (I cant remember the exact price).

It is much cheaper to fly from Manchester but I dont know about the cost from Aberdeen to Man. J.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,753 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet on I Drive

I couldn't get a quote on Virgon for IOM to MCO either, despite your protestations otherwise.

Maybe they've stopped doing thru tickets? Even an agent couldn't do it for me.

And I think Quiet on Idrive is a good thing.

Wales
Level Contributor
962 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet on I Drive

I stayed at the hotel at the back of you-The Springhill Suites. I have to beg to differ, I'm afraid. We returned home two weeks ago and had three weeks in Orlando(except for a break in St Augustine] Our hotel was very busy. It had 100 teenagers from Uraguay staying there (phew]. South I.drive was bustling. Bahama Breeze was heaving nearly every night. Must admit though, we didn't walk down towards the north I.Drive. I didn't notice it quiet at all. Maybe, because when I stayed it was around the [4thJuly lead up to and afterwards]. What I did notice though, was some of the hotels looked tired, old andin a state of disrepair. The knights Inn was closed and derelict. Credit crunch, I think. Sad really!

UK
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet on I Drive

I dont know what IOM has to do with Aberdeen? My only comment directed to Annie was that I couldnt find a flight from Aberdeen to MCO on the Virgin site.Obviously an agent could as she is booked on a flight. The discussion is about prices I believe.J.