We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Parks with Autistic Child.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Water Parks with Autistic Child.

Our Son is low-functioning Autistic, and, thus, the Disney parks are a step too far at the moment. However, he absolutely loves all things aquatic, so i'm certain that the many Water Parks will provide an exciting and enjoyable outlet for him, not to mention Mum and Dad! I'm thinking of Disney's Typhoon Lagoon, and maybe Aquatica. I've had a quick at Typhoon Lagoon, and the wave pool looks fab. Our D.S has absolutely no fear of water whatsoever, which is a good thing, but it also means that he needs constant supervision. Are there any slides/rides which allow adults to accompany children? Thanks in advance.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

At TL you can go into the wave pool with him, and in the lazy river. There are also a few 2 man rides/slides incl I think the crusher gusher.

But for you and others with children who have special needs I am sure i have seen on allears or the Dibb a special section on taking children such as yours to the parks and waterparks. These will have lots of great advice for you.

http://allears.net/pl/dis_aut4.htm

Edited: 12 February 2011, 07:12
Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

Thanks Amanx, will check it out. :)

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

I think you would find TL suitable. I can't comment on Aquatica. I think TL offers a bit of a calmer experience than BB for example. It has slides you can can go on with your son and as you say the wave pool is fantastic. Also, Ketchakiddee Creek is a great area for kids within TL and you easily supervise your son in a very kid friendly area.

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

Have you considered going to Discovery Cove to swim with the dolphins? As I'm sure you already know this can be an excellent experience for children with additional needs.

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

The childrens areas (2 of them) in Aquatica, are fab, we do not have little dids, but every time we go, we walk past and kids from tiny doots too 9-10 year olds look like they are having a great time, they also have 4 or 5 two man slides which are really good, and also 2 wave pools again which are great!

And as Waxylicious says Discovery Cove maybe worth a look at, really is a special experience!

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

I have two children with autism. Typhoon lagoon is wonderful..especially the wave pool..my son spent hours in there. I dont know how old your son is but we last went to tl when my youngest was 5 and we got him a life vest hire from the shop and then put a set of reins over the top this way i could control hiim better when he was jumping in the waves.

Last trip we took him to aquatica....he was almost 7 by that point and loved aquatica. I had no problems in both parks going on some of the slides with him..some he wasnt allowed on but I probably wouldnt have let him go on them ones anyway. There are tyres in the lazy rivers that have bottoms to them..i put him in it and i just held on. Aquatica had two person tyres and we used them.

Life vests are available for all ages in both parks. Disney required a deposit for theirs but aquatica they were everywhere and you just helped yourself..i recommend you get one of those for your own piece of mind.

Others on here have recommended discovery cove..i must just mention i enquired into this for my sons and was told that the minimum age is 6yrs to partake in the dolphin swim AND must be able to follow instructions..this is why i couldnt take my youngest so we didnt go.

On a positive note for you..my youngest was 3yrs old when we first took him to disney..no comunication at all. By the end of the holiday he was talking two word sentances!! Our second trip he toilet trained and said full sentances. He loves all the parks..we get there early (we are up anyway) and go at non busy times and come away if it gets too much for him.

feel free to send me a message if you have any further questions that i may be able to help you with.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
143 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

Hi

My brother is autistic. My parents first took him to Orl in 2004. He loved it. There are lots of waterslides adults may accompany and there are family raft rides you will all be able to enjoy. My parents also took David (my brother) to discovery cove. He was a bit unsure at first but he came round and their have some great memories.

Have a great time and if you need any more advice please ask.

E

Essex
Level Contributor
284 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

I have a son with special needs, he is deaf and has learning difficulties. I have been taking him to Orlando for many years, it is the perfect destination for him. He is now 16 and very adventurous but has been going since he was 3 or 4 and there is something in every park that has been good for him. It is also the one place where he can do things with his older brother on an equal footing. We went to Discovery Cove on the our last trip for the first time, as I had not felt that he would cope with the deep water and being towed back on his own by the dolphin, although you could easily skip this bit. Only realised when I looked at the pictures afterwards, what an important experience it had been for him and we are going again this year. Seaworld is also very calm and a less frenetic park than MK.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Our DS Leo will be 6 in March. He is non-verbal, and has very little in way of social skills. Typhoon Lagoon sounds like a great water park to introduce him to, as does Aquatica. He is also slightly Visual impaired, so tends to rely on touch and sound, both of which are hyper-sensitive.

Also, the attraction to water parks is that they offer an element of free rein, which is a lot more appealing than being in a stroller for longs periods of time in the regular parks.

Bring on Typhoon Lagoon!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Parks with Autistic Child.

woffer 73 wishing you and your family a Fantastic time, have a great holiday. Leo will have great fun and I'm sure you will have fun watching himself enjoy the Magic of Disney and other Parks have to offer.

Edited: 12 February 2011, 15:32