We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dvc

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Topic
dvc

Just keep trying to decide to buy right from DVC or resale, of those that have DVC, how often do you use your points for cruise or the other resorts you cant use if you buy resale?

Homer Glen, IL
Level Contributor
197 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dvc

We've been DVC members since 1993. We use our points every year and sometimes borrow points from the following year. I can tell you, being part of DVC has a LOT of perks and discounts. We love it.

As far as the Disney Cruise, paying out of pocket can get very pricey. We ALWAYS use points for the cruise.

You are also just not limited to Disney resorts with DVC, you can travel all over the world!

Here are some great FAQ's about DVC:

wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/faq.shtml

If you plan on going to Disney often, DVC is a great choice!

Edited: 24 April 2012, 15:40
Harleysville...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dvc

We have been DVC members since 2003 (own at Saratoga Springs). We have gone every year, but 2009, and have stayed at Saratoga Springs and Boardwalk Villas. We have used our points only for DVC resorts, never traded for anywhere else or used for the cruise. We have 220 points and sometimes borrow from the following year. We have also taken extended family with us using our points.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,369 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dvc

We've been DVC members for a few years. We haven't used our points for the cruise or to stay at other properties because we love visiting the parks so much. This fall we're taking my Husbands' brother and his wife with us. In the past we've taken our kids and their friends and had wonderful times. If you visit the parks often it really is a great way to save money.

donna

toronto
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dvc

thanks all, seems a resale would be more upfront economical, and from what i know and hear, you still get the same benifits with RCI as a new purchase

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dvc

Just so you know, if you buy a "resale" DVC membership, you will only get what ever "use years" is left on the membership. For example, if whoever had it before you used it for 10 years, then that is 10 years less that you have to use on the membership. My personal recommendation is to not purchase the "resale" membership. Why pay almost the same price but get less years.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
242 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dvc

Family DVC members since 1994 & always visit our home which is Old Key West or Sarratoga Springs more recently. Never even considered using for anywhere else or cruise as we have small children (& big kids!!) who enjoy the theme parks x

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dvc

I have to agree with Tidewater, although you may pay a bit less through resale, your membership will not be as long as buying through DVC.

We have only used ours for WDW and Hilton Head but have never regretted buying into DVC, we have been members since 2004.

toronto
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: dvc

i know that the years are reduced,, but the savings are bigger,,,30-40%. SSR is selling for over 100 and resale can be 60-65, thats huge in this day.

so 10 less years for that big of a savings, plus we see what they have done with OKW im sure they will for all the properties at some point, increase the length for a price. resale is the way i am going and looking at some of the listing now

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dvc

Enjoy :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dvc

We have bought direct and resale.

We only use our points to stay at the parks, for us it isnt worth using the points for a cruise.

just buy where you truly want to stay. alot of places get booked up at the 11mos mark. ( especially during holidays/ spring break)

..if you dont care what resort you stay at.. then you will be fine..

Our favorite is Bay Lake.. so we bought there to be guarenteed to stay there.