We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

The hubby and I are off to Orlando next week for theme parks and shopping. We plan on hitting Universal Studios and IOA (one each day as well as WDW) and are going to buy the entrance tickets online before we leave. However, I am not sure whether to buy an Express Pass for each park beforehand or not - I saw some posts suggesting waiting to buy the express pass on the day itself.

We are going next 12/13 and 12/16. Forecast is not great unfortunately, which makes me wonder whether to wait to buy the express passes as well.

Questions:

1. Where do we buy the Express Pass on the day itself if we choose not to buy it beforehand? Will we have to deal with long queues?

2. Will it be the same price as online now, or more expensive?

3. Will we have to pay for parking if we go the day before to pick up our park tickets from the Will Call Kiosk? I understand it is near the park gates?

Thanks!

pa
Level Contributor
53,725 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

I don't think you will need the Express Pass for the dates you are going. 1 day for each Park should be plenty of time. Wait til inside the Park to see how the crowd levels are, there will be Staff, everywhere, selling the EP, if you decide you want them

It will be the same price, as far as I know

Yes, you will have to pay for Parking, I would just wait to pick up your tickets til the day you are going

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Thanks Partypa. Very useful information about EPs being sold by non-ticket booth staff.

Also, do you know if I buy a 2-day pass beforehand and decided to change the first day that I had planned to use it because it was thundering whether it would still be valid for a different 2 days? (or will not showing up on day1 make the 2-day pass invalid)

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

The tickets aren't specific to an actual date , they are activated when you go through the turnstile at the park & the days don't have to be used consecutively

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,213 posts
1,638 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

I think the Express pass are slightly cheaper if you book online, although I would get them on the day if the parks are too busy and you can upgrade even after entering the park.

Sanford, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Express Pass prices are subject to change and may be more expensive at the park. That said, it is probably a good idea to wait until visiting the park so you can be sure it will be a wise purchase. Express Passes are not valid at Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, or Pteranadon Flyers and during the slower times the lines may not be very long. If you decide to purchase Express Passes you can do it at a ticket window, at guest services, or inside the park at many store locations.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,798 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Express Pass ===== Rip off.......

I will not spend my hard earned on a two tier system..... I would rather walk on by.........

We pay more than enough to get into the parks in the first place, without then handing over more to queue jump........

Funnily enough, I've seen people with EP's in "Longer" queues than the normal line......lol......

What happens if "nearly" everyone buys an EP???????? Will Universal then offer an Express Express Pass?????

What bugs me, (confirmed years ago by a member of staff) they "don't" open all rides, so queues "will" build up then stagger other ride opening times....... We had walked to the back of the park to do The Mummy/Jaws, etc. only to have to walk back as they were closed until 10am.....

When in the queue for Shrek I got talking to her, she said she got "hundreds" of complaints about it & we should go to GS to air our views.....

She also gave us 4 each (16) tickets which got us straight onto the rides, as an apology........ Lovely lady....:-):-):-)

Now call me a cynic, but people buying EP's are playing into their hands......

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Just got back on friday and longest we qued up for a ride was 5 mins in all the parks... Was very very nice to be round a park in 3 hours.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Wow. Cousey I hope I have your luck! Were there any rides where you got really wet? (besides the 3 IOA "listed" wet rides)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Not really wet - but Twister & the Terminator show involve a little bit of water ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Universal Studios / IOA - help re express pass please!

Just a summary of how it went down:

Went Universal Studios on Thursday 13/12. Was there at rope drop. Did not wait for a single ride (but we do move fast and criss cross the park from ride to ride) all day. No need for an express pass (thank you!). No wet rides.

Visited Islands of Adventure on Monday 16/12. Was there at rope drop. Did not wait for most rides, and the longest we did wait was 10minutes (and that was because a ride vehicle had to be taken off). No need for Express Pass (thank you!). We started with the Hulk, and then went on to Harry Potter rides. The wet rides are designed to make sure you are quite wet - because the sun was out, we did them around noon. Sat multiple rides more than once during the day. Tip!! - after the first ride "together", consider sitting as a "single rider". This is not signposted well, but most rides have single rider lanes (just need to ask staff at the entrance of the queue) - and you bypass all the queues (unfortunately also a lot of the stuff you see walking in the queue, which is why I would only do it after your first ride. For example, in HP and the Forbidden Journey, you head up a staircase that takes you to the end of the queue for the ride and you miss seeing the different scenes along the way). Husband loved the 3 main coasters. Excellent rides - glad this was our last theme park!