We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

Just been reading about the possibility of an invasion of the "mega" Mosquitos in Florida this summer and I'm understandably concerned!

When is " mosquito season" in Orlando exactly? I'm guessing May, June, July, August but not sure. We're due to visit 24 Sept to 11 Oct - are they usually still around at that time of year?

Thanks for any information you can give.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,189 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

Season is about June-October.

A couple years ago was rainy and a big year for mosquitos thru October. If it's warm and wet there will be mosquitos.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,808 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

Bring plenty of Mosquito repellent.

Ireland
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

I went in early September last year and for the first part it was really sunny no rain and didn't see any of them. Then the last 4 days it lashed every day and they came in hundreds!

The year before that I was there mid-September and there was some short showers but didn't see any of them.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

I could probably count on one hand the number of times I put on bug spray each year. It depends on your activity of course, but if you are just going to the parks and in and around the attractions don't overly concern yourself. You can pick up something if you find you need it. (I would avoid the Ferry from MK after the park closes in the summer time).

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

I agree with the person above, it's very rare that I've ever had to put on bug spray since I've lived here. I live in a very wooded area with lots of standing water.

There are times they are biting, but it's rare. I've lived in the northern USA as well & the mosquitos up there are WAY more vicious than the Florida mosquitos.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

10 days to 2 weeks after it rains.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

We've been a few times in August and once last September, never saw a mosquito or got any bites. The theme parks and hotels probably spray and the little lizards that you see eat bugs.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

Thank you all for your replies and helpful information.

It all appears to be down to how rainy it is then? I'm not sure if I should consider moving our dates a bit further into October when there may be less rain or stick with my original dates and hope for the best?

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

Your planned visit time (mid September onward) coincides with hurricane season. Rainfall from tropical depressions, storms, and full-fledged hurricanes is erratic, so it's impossible to predict local mosquito outbursts. Last year, Palm Beach County suffered severe flooding from an outlying band of hurricane Isaac that struck Louisiana (and caused cancellation of some political convention events in Tampa). They will probably have lots of mosquitos this summer.

Orlando seldom has much of a mosquito problem.

The much-advertised big mosquito species is native to all of eastern North America.

wptv.com/dpp/news/region_st_lucie_county/gal…

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When exactly is Mosquito season in Florida?

Thanks for replying BlueRusso and for the information .