We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa's for US in an old passport

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
546 posts
71 reviews
36 helpful votes
Visa's for US in an old passport

We are taking a family vacation to Orlando in September, my Mum is coming with us for the first time, she has a US visa in an old passport (she travelled with my Dad to Australia 30 years ago before Visa waiver and landed in LA on route) my question is does anyone have any experience of entering the US with a visa that was issued in a passport 30 years ago?

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Visa's for US in an old passport

With the new passport , assuming she has no criminal convictions she would need to apply for a visa waiver.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Visa's for US in an old passport

There invalid and will be removed by the Immergration officer on arrival, my wife and I had US lifetime visas which after 9/11 were cut out of our Passports now like everyone else we have to fill in the ESTA.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
546 posts
71 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Visa's for US in an old passport

Is a travel authorization a visa?

No, an approved travel authorization is not a visa. It does not meet the legal or regulatory requirements to serve in lieu of a United States visa when a visa is required under United States law. Individuals who possess a valid visa will still be able to travel to the United States on that visa for the purpose for which it was issued. Individuals traveling on valid visas are not required to apply for a travel authorization

I took this from the ESTA application site under 'help', my Mum's VISA is valid for life, I just want to know if anyone uses a VISA issued in a previous passport

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
546 posts
71 reviews
36 helpful votes
4. Re: Visa's for US in an old passport

OK thanks Nemmis thats exactly what I wanted to know

5. Re: Visa's for US in an old passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 01:19