We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shell Island

Festus, Missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Shell Island

I am just checking to see if anyone has recently been over to Shell Island. We have been going to PCB on vacation for 6-7 years now, and the past couple of years have not been over to the island. The last time we did go were not too impressed and found that the beach at St. Andrew's is just a nice and perfect for allowing the kids to find shells.

We have been thinking about doing the wave runners for snorkeling, dolphin viewing and going to shell island, but I wanted to get some feedback before spending the money on it.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Shell Island
Shell Island
1,737 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
17 replies to this topic
Cullman, Alabama
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shell Island

I agree that the beach at St. Andrews is just as nice. Plus they have restrooms nearby. I think Shell Island is beautiful, but not really worth the money and the limited resources you have out there.

Mentioned in this post
Shell Island
Shell Island
1,737 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Tupelo, Mississippi
Level Contributor
50 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shell Island

Get to St Andrews early in the morning before tons of other people and the shells are nice. Like beach bound said, the extra time and expense getting to Shell Island makes St Andrews much more appealing to us.

Mentioned in this post
Shell Island
Shell Island
1,737 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Middletown
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shell Island

A side trip to Crooked Island about 30 miles east of Panama City towards Mexico Beach for shelling, fishing and snorkeling is wroth it.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Mexico Beach
Mexico Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Panama City, Fl
Level Contributor
233 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shell Island

As locals, we don't bother. As beach_bound_al mentioned - it's a premium you have to pay, to get less amenities.

You can find the same shells around the Jetties in St. Andrew's if that's what you're looking for, and there are restrooms, and a store selling cold drinks / slushies / ice creams etc.

Shell Island is beautiful - but I do find it an odd concept to pay more money, for less comfort. If you pack well, take a big cooler, and tent / chairs - you can be just as comfy over there. Or, consider renting a pontoon boat and going to/from by yourself as a cheaper alternative...

Mentioned in this post
Shell Island
Shell Island
1,737 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shell Island

What is early?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shell Island

Shell Island is beautiful, but unless you have your own boat, Shell Island is not that great.

Mentioned in this post
Shell Island
Shell Island
1,737 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Festus, Missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shell Island

We went to St. Andrews and in early afternoon I went over to the shallow area to snorkel, if you dig into the sand you can find some of the most amazing shells!!!

Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shell Island

Where is St Andrews beach? I'm clueless and will be at St Pete beach but must go "shelling" and sadly I didn't know Sanibel was so far away....... we are flying into Tampa so best "shelling" within an hour or less drive

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Arlington Heights...
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shell Island

Where is St Andrews beach? I'm clueless and will be at St Pete beach but must go "shelling" and sadly I didn't know Sanibel was so far away....... we are flying into Tampa so best "shelling" within an hour or less drive

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Festus, Missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shell Island

St. Andrews is in Panama City Beach so sadly it is not anywhere near Tampa.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
5,198 Reviews
Panama City Beach, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Reply to: Shell Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach