We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

We are coming down 6/19-6/26 and just heard from a friend today that is in PCB that the water is very brown and murky. She says it looks awful. Is this true? Can anyone give a report on the condition of the water? I really don't want to cancel our trip, but I am very concerned about the oil spill. We are so used to the beautiful white sand and the emerald water. That is why we keep coming back. I am still hopefull that the oil will not reach PBC but it isn't looking very promising. Any input would be appreciated.

Magnolia, Arkansas
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

Just read on another board from a couple that just arrived today and he said no oil. He did mention that it was cloudy and overcast. He didn't say how the water looked though.

Magnolia, Arkansas
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

Here is a link I just found on another board that says it's going west towards Texas!

www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0816351020100509

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

The reports I've read lately (I've been checking daily, trust me) say the same thing, that the oil is headed west.

If only we had a crystal ball....

86 sleeps 'til our first trip to PCB!

Getting more & more excited!!!

Naomi :-)

Magnolia, Arkansas
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

We sent the rest of our money this weekend. So we'll be there bar the beaches are closed June 12th-19th. So that's 33 days left for us.

Panama City, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

There is no oil near Panama City Beach at this time. NOAA has a 72 Hour map that predicts where the spill is and as of this evening it is no where near PCB. Residents here are watching it closely and so far we are OK. Have relatives coming for a week starting around June 12th and hope all stays well. The weather has been beautiful. Sunny and the temperature was in the mid 80's today. Great beach weather. The water temperature is now 81 degrees and continuing to warm up. Keep watching the NOAA website for the latest information. The Bay County EOC has been making preparations just in case and has placed boons in the bay.

Florida's west coast
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

The current wind direction is out of the east /south-east and forecast to stay that direction for the quite some time - at least a week. That means that the slick is generally moving somewhat westward and poses no threat to Florida beaches at this time.

Of course the slick continues to grow in overall size since the flow continues.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

http://www.mrsurfs.com/surf_report.php

Daily reports and pictures.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
31 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

My co-worker just left there Sat. She said the beaches and weather were beautiful and no oil.

Panama City, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

I spent all weekend on the beach and it was beautiful. The oil continues to move west away from us. So far so good. Please keep in mind that the color of the water has to do with the amount of rain inland that runs down the rivers and streams into the gulf and nothing to do with the oils slick that is still hundreds of miles away from PCB. Water was pretty clear and green this weekend.

Level Contributor
261 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has the oil reached the PCB beaches yet??Any reports?

Hi I am here now and the water was murky yesterday due to choppy seas. The water today is pretty clear and blue green. high of 85 and clear sunny skies. The weather forecast is the same thru the weekend. It could not be more beautiful.

Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach