We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where not to stay

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Where not to stay

Taking daughters ages 10 and 12 to Panama City Beach Mar 24 for a week. We've always gone to Ft Myers Beach but thought we would try this. Where should we stay? looking for a Condo on the beach. Would prefer my daughters to not be around all the Highschool and Collage kids partying. Drinking is one thing they don't need to see beer bongs.

Where should we not stay?

Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where not to stay

I would stay on the east end, that would be Thomas Drive, look on vrbo.com and look for Lower Grand Lagoon or Biltmore Beach. You would first look for panama city beach then the others YOU DO NOT want to stay at the Holiday Sunspree, thats quite the party place blaring rap music, they do have wonderful security though. When you stay on the east end you can walk to St. Andrews Park, very interesting place your daughters would probably really like it.

Level Contributor
527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where not to stay

I'm in the same situation as Indy0500 (and, coincidentally, I'm from Indy, too!). Trying to get up to speed on the lay of the land. Kids would like to stay sorta close to Pier Park mall. Is the mall close to the east end you are referring to? (By the way, I'm familiar with the Emerald Coast from Destin to Rosemary Beach, but have never stayed east of Rosemary.)

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where not to stay

I am also in the same situation. I am taking my children who are both boys ages 20 and 13. I definitely want to limit them seeing the parties and alcohol, but still find somewhere that they will be entertained and enjoy their time. By the way... This is our very first trip to Florida and the very first time that we will see the ocean. It is so exciting!

Slinger, WI
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where not to stay

Holiday inn Sunspree on Sandpiper Beacon. Last year we saw the police at Sandpiper every day. There is someone on this forum that pushes for people to stay at Sandpiper so be aware.

Georgia
Level Contributor
477 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where not to stay

I would recommend the west end of front beach rd. No spring break kids up that end but still close to Pier Park. You can try Celedon, Splash, Tidewater Resort to name a few. Go on to vrbo and look at Gulf Resort Beach and you should not have any problems with spring break kids in this area except for Sandpiper Beacon which I wouldn't recommend anyway.

Louisville
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where not to stay

I agree with dizzy snooker. Splash, tidewater and celadon are great choices near pier park.

Marietta Ga
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where not to stay

I agree with the others either all the way east by St andrews or all the way west close by Pier Park anywhere in the middle are gonna be the college kids partying we went last yr during college spring break and its crazy at Pier park all the way down to thomas dr i would definitely do a condo 25 and over for sure the smaller hotels will be full of 21 yr olds since they cant book 25 and up rooms on vrbo look at Gulf resort beach, open sands, biltmore and lower grand

Saginaw
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where not to stay

I would stay close to Pier Park. There are beautiful things about Panama City: pier park, the beautiful sand, shell island, renting a pontoon boat and having dolphins swim right next to boat. However, be prepared for the spring breakers. It can get very nasty going down the beach towards Panama Shores, Club La Vella, etc. And I mean nasty. If you stay away from spring breakers you will have a wonderful time.

Destin
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where not to stay

Have you considering going to Destin or 30A instead? Panama City Beach is more associated with the tattoo, cigarette, and spring break college partying crowd, and Destin is more associated with the families on spring break crowd. Once you are aware of this then you can decide which group you fall into. I'm certain there is a small amount of crossover between the groups, but it is usually by the uninformed who have not consulted TA, and therefore don't know what they are getting themselves into.

Hartsville, TN
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where not to stay

That is just ugly to say. The last couple of years in Destin we have seen nastier looking people than Panama City Beach. I am tatoo free, smoke free and drink free, but that doesnt make me better than the people who are not.

That being said, we avoid the whole area for spring break and during the summer. We got at the end of August and have the place to ourselves. I would avoid the Summitt, any hotel, or any place that allows people under 25 to rent. Long Beach has EXCELLENT security. Just look close to not get a "Golden Girls" room.

Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach