We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

My DDIL has been stung every time she enters the Gulf of Mexico. Needless to say she is scared to go in the water and I don't blame her.

She swims like a fish but the jelly fish like her too much.

OK, so we are going to PCB in late June. Any suggestions for a pain reliever when stung by a jelly fish? TIA.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
149 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

I've heard meat tenderizer works pretty good, but I've never tried it myself.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

Dan I am going to pack meat tenderizer as well as bring a spray bottle of vinegar. If one doesn't work then she can try the other.

Or anyone of us may need to try them. I've only been stung once that I know of. Same for DH.

Will have to post the results "of what works best" when we get back. Will also try the sand rub but not the urine. :) We leave in almost 9 weeks so it will be awhile. I can't wait.

Fairhope, Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

Been around beaches and the sea for over 40 years...been stung or bit by just about everything and used just about every thing from pee to folklore remedies.baking soda...meat tenderizer..the works...

I tried the Safe Sea stuff...does not work!! ..there is no such thing as a jellyfish repellent..I understand product has been removed from the shelves for making some wild claims...don't know that for sure

Tried Jellyfish Squish but it is basically a topical anesthetic..Lidocaine..it wears off and you still have the pain..no first aid at all...over 1700 adverse affects on record with the FDA....http://www.ehealthme.com/report/si2aop

Stuff could be bad for kids...

What does work and very well is vinegar..Ocean Care Solutions makes a vinegar based spray on solution that works in minutes...I've seen it work..worked on me..Beach Rescue units are using it now...check it out...www.oceancaresolutions.com

Best thing is try to avoid but if not, get something that works...good luck and keep your sunny side up

BL

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
306 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

I thought SafeSea was a jellyfish larve repellant. I also didnt know it was off the market. What does a commercial vinegar preparation have that a homemade solution doesnt? My tablet wont open the link.

Fairhope, Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

I checked with a couple of very well respected marine biologists about Safe Sea claims...there simple is not a repellent for any stage of jellyfish...I was told the product is off the shelves...don't know first hand but I do know I used it and it was not even a good sun screen which it advertises...

Average household vinegar or vinegar off of the shelf is between 2.9 and 3.9% acetic acid depending on the brands...some are even 5%...Ocean Care's jelly sting solution is a min. of 5% acetic acid in combination with, according to the company, alcohol and synthetic skin components to deliver the most concentrated and safe first aid levels of acetic acid on the sting while addressing welts etc.....the stuff works very well..I also saw a doctor use one of their first aid kits on a Box jelly sting...worked as represented..really cool kit..everything was right there...go to their site for more www.oceancaresolutions.com good luck and keep your sunny side up..

BL

Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

I always pack meat tenderizer when we are going to the beach. I make a paste out of it with fresh water and apply. It has always worked for me and my family. I have been reading about vinegar. I think that I'm going to pack it, too.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

Thats what we are packing crazyforPCB, vinegar and meat tenderizer ~ it's now 11 days to go for us.

Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

I have 3 days! : )

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

Oooh how nice.

We are staying in Laguna Beach just west of PCB. You probably know where it is. DH, DS2 and DIL2 ~ love having my family together.

Have a safe journey and watch out for those jellyfish.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Jelly Fish sting ~ stop the pain.

I have 11 months. So honey bee where do you stay in Laguna Beach? I love it in Laguna Beach.

Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach
Recent Conversations