We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

some questions about the area

Which Port Saint Joe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
some questions about the area

We have been to many places on the Gulf Coast, but until recently had not heard of Cape San Blas. Am interested in visiting the area in the next year or so. I always read up on things, and I have a book called Florida Beaches which is over 10 years old. I know St. Joseph State Park is beautiful, but some things the book said about Port St. Joe concerned me. It mentioned chemical plants and a smell in the area. I was wondering what the story was on that. I have a recent tourist guide book on the area that makes Port St. Joe look very nice. Is the other book outdated, and is this a problem of the past, or is it still an issue there?

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: some questions about the area

Just returned from camping in the state park on Cape San Blas. Went through PSJ on the way there & back, and we went 3 times last year. PSJ is a lovely town with no bad odors that we've ever noticed, nothing to worry about. Even if something smelly did happen in PSJ, you wouldn't be exposed to it on the cape.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: some questions about the area

Thank you for your reply. Port St. Joe did look nice in the brochure...that is why I was surprised to read that in the book, but as I said the book is about 10 years old and a lot can change in that time. Good to know!

FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: some questions about the area

We went to Cape San Blas in December (stayed in Apalachicola) and it was lovely. We plan to go back... I loved apalachicola but am considering staying this time in Port St Joe or St. george island...

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: some questions about the area

The St. Joe Paper Mill which was smelly has been gone for over a decade, all that remained was Arizona Chemical, I'm happy to report was closed and dismantled over a year ago, the area is chemical free. However old mill site which sits on the bay Has too much crap in the soil fo it to be built up at this time. There has been a lot of debate in Gulf county as a company that plans to burn plant material ( from the tree industry) to turn into electricity, needed jobs and "green" energy vs the eviromental impact and likely new smells are the debate. As of this writing I believe the project is not going to happen. Visit the area, you will be suprized about how a beach and port community in Florida has bene untouched by chain stores, tourist traps and commercial build up.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: some questions about the area

What activities are available for a family with three daughters and four grandchildren who are 11, 9, 9, and 6

Stillwater, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
47 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: some questions about the area

We just spent a month at Barrier Dunes on Cape San Blas. There is nothing to do except relax and take in the beauty. I wouldn't swim in the ocean as there are a lot of sharks. Fishermen caught them regularly. The Cape is peaceful and beautiful. Beach combing is fun as there are millions of shells. There is no shopping and only one restaurant. This was all part of the allure for me. Also, the beaches allow dogs. Wonderful place if the kids don't need to be constantly amused. If that's the case, go to Destin.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: some questions about the area

There are many wonderful things to do in the area. If you want some great activities, you can enjoy a horseback ride on the beach, watch a sunset (the beaches face west) and then have a beach bonfire and enjoy some s'mores, paddleboarding, kayaking or a pontoon boat in the bay, surf fishing, scalloping or crabbing...lots and lots.

Here is page with many Things to Do in the area: http://thecapeescape.com/ThingstoDo.html

What you won't find (in addition to smells or a chemical plant) are traffic lights (or traffic), high rises, tattoo parlors, wild folks (including crowds of college kids).... just clean, uncrowded, white sand beaches and a relaxing time.

Hope you'll give the Forgotten Coast a try! Cape San Blas is amazing!

Albany, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: some questions about the area

There was a paper mill and chemical plant in PSJ. They are both closed now and the town is great. There are great restaurants. Try Joe Mama's Pizza, Provisions and Peppers.

Albany, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: some questions about the area

There was a paper mill and chemical plant in PSJ. They are both closed now and the town is great. There are great restaurants. Try Joe Mama's Pizza, Provisions and Peppers.

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: some questions about the area

St Joseph State Park out on Cape San Blas is my favorite place to camp & kayak. Not touristy.

Regarding your book - the south has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Most of the paper mills have closed , the dirty cites have cleaned up & all the roads have been paved !