We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report...1st week of October

Springfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report...1st week of October

First of all, I am sorry this is so late. Upon returning home my father was in and out of the hospital and eventually died. Took me a while to do this. This was our 9th trip to SGI since the early 1990s. We live in SW Missouri, about 900 miles away, but the trip is worth it. I was a little apprehensive this time, having read some negative comments about Suncoast rentals, but everything was fine where we stayed. It was hot and humid when we arrived on Saturday. Had some time to kill so we did some shopping in Apalachicola and had a nice lunch at the Owl Taproom. We stocked up as usually at the Piggly Wiggly in Apalachicola, then stopped at Lynn’s in Eastpoint for seafood for our first night.

We checked into our property, Sea Dreams, on the East end. It was the perfect size for the two of us, could easily handle another couple. That first night was rainy and very windy, so we stayed in and had a delicious seafood dinner and watched the surf. Sunday was much cooler, but windy, with a rough surf. It rained much of the day and the wind was ferocious. Monday was so windy I couldn’t drink my coffee on the deck! Walked the beach some and had a nice dinner at Harry A’s. Tuesday was sunny and warm, still very windy. Saw several jellyfish on the beach. Too windy to fish and the surf was still rough. Dinner at the Beach Pit, first time to try it. Oysters Cannonball quite good, grouper sandwich so-so. Draft beer choice limited despite their advertising 11 beers on tap.

Wednesday was warm and still very windy. Bought shrimp at Doug’s for dinner in. Became aware of tropical system in the Gulf that seemed to be headed right toward us. Thursday we went to the State Park. Incredibly windy, but beautiful. Had dinner at the Blue Parrot, best so far. The grouper sandwich was great. Friday some friends from Tallahassee joined us. Hung out on the beach and enjoyed catching up with each other. The highlight of the trip was probably going back to Lynn’s in Eastpoint for shrimp and oysters, both raw and baked. We ate lots of each and they were delicious! The servers were very friendly and made us feel like family. I highly recommend Lynn’s. Saturday we left a little early to try to outrun Hurricane Nate, which had moved west. Made it to Vicksburg but the bridges at Pensacola and Mobile were very windy. Made it back home Sunday afternoon.

The weather was not ideal and we didn’t see a single dolphin for the first time, but the trip was well worth it. Each time we come is different and that is why it’s so fun. We had lots of good food, good service at every restaurant, and a fun, relaxing vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Apalachicola
Apalachicola
Florida Panhandle, FL
The Gulf
The Gulf
1,706 Reviews
Orange Beach, AL
Blue Parrot
Blue Parrot
1,333 Reviews
St. George Island, FL
Tallahassee
Tallahassee
Florida Panhandle, FL
Vicksburg
Vicksburg
Mississippi
Pensacola Beach
Pensacola Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
10 replies to this topic
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

Thanks So much for posting.I haven't tried Lynn's but will next June.sgi is such a great place,even if weather doesn't cooperate.

Added to faqs under trip reports.

Edited: 02 November 2017, 19:58
Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

Glad you came but very sorry about your loss. Weather for October was fairly unpredictable with it getting cold at the end of the month. Keep coming back!

United States
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

I'm sorry, Steve, about the passing of your Dad. It's a hard part of life for us.

Thank you for the specific information about places you ate. That's what I look for in a trip report. Much appreciated!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

heres link to review of Lynns.Cant tell if they have more than shrimp and oysters though to eat there.Chime in if you know.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Springfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

We also had some really good seafood gumbo, and delicious homemade key lime pie.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

I am very sorry to read of the death of your father. Glad you enjoyed your trip. I, too, love Lynn's. It's my favorite. The food, of course, is good, but there is something else going on there that is hard to put a finger on. The servers are lovely, warm, friendly people, but I believe part of it's seduction is that it's so unpretentious and the antithesis of chain restaurants or even privately owned eateries that one comes away feeling like it's secretly "my place." Or maybe they sprinkle stardust on the oysters.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

Lynn's in the spot where that place on 98 was years ago

Then a hurricane came thru and a surge wiped them out.I recall the owner telling me water actually hit the ceiling inside.he felt vulnerable there after rebuilding and moved to appalach.

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

Not much to Lynn’s menu. Oysters served raw or steamed, shrimp served steamed, and gumbo. No sides and no salads. It’s a seafood shop with a few tables to eat. No atmosphere to speak of. I frequent the place when having a solo lunch. Great for a fresh shrimp or oyster fix. I’m certain that I’ve uploaded pictures of it on this site.

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

Big: That Place on 98 was pushed into the middle of 98 in 2005 by hurricane Dennis. Lynn’s is located close to where it stood but it is not where it previously stood. Lynn’s has been opened since 1997. She has recently added corn dogs to the menu with chips and a pasta shrimp salad.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report...1st week of October

Thanks. From pics it looked like same spot.thanks for comments on menu .

Reply to: Trip report...1st week of October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island