We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free: Dining and shopping in greater Tampa

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free: Dining and shopping in greater Tampa

We're staying in St Petersburg in mid April. My husband has celiac disease, so we need to do some advanced research on dining options.

We prefer local places, not chains. I do know that a few chains in the area have gluten-free menus - such as Outback, Carrabas, etc.

Anyone know of any other places that either have a gluten-free menu or will make things to order? It can be anywhere in the greater Tampa area...we realize that we will have to do some driving.

Also, we'll need a Whole Foods or similar type grocery or Health food store. Anyone know of locations in St Petersburg?

Lastly, I was in this area a few years ago with my mom. We stopped as a Cuban restaurant on our way back to St Pete's Beach from somewhere in St Petersburg. I haven't a clue as to where we were, but it was on 4 lane local street, but possibly a more residential area.

It was one of the best meals I had on the whole trip. I want to say that the parking lot was next to a dentist's or doctor's office....I know this isn't a lot of info, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free: Dining and shopping in greater Tampa

There is a very popular health food store, Natures Finest, on the west side of St. Petersburg, , at the intersection of 66th Street and Central Avenue. Here is the website:

http://www.naturalretail.com/htm/natures.htm

Where are you staying, St. Pete side or Tampa side? That will make a difference in the answers you get.

The Cuban restaurant you describe might have been the St. Pete Le Teresita. It is closed now, but there's still one in Tampa. Also, you might have passed Cuban Delight, a smaller restaurant at the intersection of 30th Avenue North and 49th Street.

sptimes.com/2005/…Home_cooking__Cuban_s.shtml

But there are many of course so maybe try them all!

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free: Dining and shopping in greater Tampa

Thanks for the health food store rec. I am putting it on my map now.

We are staying on the west side close to the Treasure Island causeway, though it really doesn't matter where any recommendations are - as long as they are closer than Orlando or Ft Myers. We are going to be out and around all over anyway and are used to driving to get to "safe" resaurants that will ensure he doesn't get sick.

I have no idea if Cuban restaurants are likely to use gluten (it's in wheat, barley or rye) in their cooking or can make things without it. Flouring meat before baking for example, using sauces/gravies that are thickened with a bit of flour, and using canned/boxed/commercial chicken stock that has gluten (some do) are all ways that gluten can get in the food.

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free: Dining and shopping in greater Tampa

Viewsaskew, I left a messge for you in your inbox...

4. Re: Gluten Free: Dining and shopping in greater Tampa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:16