We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Stay

tmlowe
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Best Place to Stay

What would be considered the nicest, most upscale place to stay in Sanibel? Preferrably waterfront.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
1. Re: Best Place to Stay

The three bedroom 3.5 baths at Sedgemore. 28-30 rentals and two are available, one from VIP and one from Select Vacation Properties. Both Gulf front penthouse units in a 12 unit complex - 2 buildings each with 6 huge condos.

Next would be Sandpiper West, a 6 unit complex of very, very large 2 bedroom 2 bath + den units with big lanais available thru ResortQuest only as far as I know, but you could check worth Gopher Rentals or other reservation service as they would know if one of the units is now with another agency. [Do not confuse this complex with Sandpiper Beach]

Both are on West Gulf Dr.

There are lovely nuits in all of the condo complexes. Some are very large, like the ones at Shorewood, others small but beautifully redone, like E7 at Sanibel Arms West. There are some at Pointe Santo that are a nice size as are the units ar Sanaya and Dosonia are nice.

On Captiva, check out Captiva Beach Villas. Huge townhome style units [2 per building and only 4 total] with a killer sunset view. Down side is they have Captiva Rd out front, so they're less private than ones named above.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
2. Re: Best Place to Stay

By the way, check out Sanaya #102 and #103 from VIP. Both are beautifully remodeled units and IMHO, the two nicest in the the complex.

GrandmaMac has stayed here and speaks very highly of it.

tmlowe
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Best Place to Stay

thanks for the info - i'll check for availability

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Best Place to Stay

Hey what about the resort complexes? Casa Ybel Resort on Sanibel is a full scale resort accommodation on the Gulf. Fabulous! Definably falls in the category of TOP and Upscale.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
5. Re: Best Place to Stay

Casa Ybel condos are no match for the privately owned and upscale ones. The reviews tell the story there, but it is a very pretty spot and has a lot of amenities.

I didn't name Casa for the same reason I didn't name Sundial or South Seas Resort. They aren't true 5* places. SUndial was inconsistent LONG before I stopped going there and now, well, just read the reviews. South Seas has it's own problems, though I happen to think they have the best location of any complex on either island, killer sunsets and stunning extensive grounds, again the best. It's their condos and service that fails. Casa being part timeshare and part 'hotel' is at least somewhat consistent in decor, but not luxe and not as consistent as they should be. It is likely the best resort in Sanibel, but NOT the nicest condos.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Best Place to Stay

I am wondering about the nature of the question. Are you looking for service and amenities as well as interior furnishings and a nice pool? Is it for yourself or are you needing to book for a important client or person.

That's my Ritz Carlton background comming out. Just want you to understand the difference between a condo complex where you rent an apartment if you will, and there is no service on site and a condo vacation resort .

Then there is the distinction of amenities, some complexes have on site offices with staffs that service you and interact with you, they are right there. They arrange activities and have events on site quite often.

That would be Sandalfoot, Sanibel Moorings, and Sanibel Arms West. The later two have docks for boating and canal access for fishing, kayaking and canoing. All have recreational rentals on site and tennis and more.

Full resort complexes have restaurants, pool bars, larger pools, cabana rentals, kids pools, kids clubs, tennis pros, full complimentary maid service daily, that sort of thing. Not sure how many places like that are left on Sanibel. Casa Ybel Resort is probably the only one.

tmlowe
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Best Place to Stay

I actually prefer a resort over a condo complex. Even though a particular condo unit may be very nice, the amenities are lacking. Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, Fairmonts...those are typically the places I start with when scouting out a new destination. I want to go to Sanibel for the shells...my daughter LOVES to collect stuff off the beach.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
8. Re: Best Place to Stay

Unfortunately, Sanibel does not have anything equal to the Four Seasons or even Fairmont resorts. Certainly nothing with great personal service. Sanibel is very much a 'do-it-yourself' type place.

The best of the lot would be Casa Ybel or South Seas Resort on Captiva. Casa is compact, in comparison with South Seas, and has many typical resort facilities, but not at any luxe level. Because of the kids club, they have lots of kids at the main pool and there is no separate adult pool. No fantasy pools, as are typical at most resorts.

South Seas is HUGE. You can get a a big, and usually very nice, condo at the Land's End Village [take a top floor unit] or better still, in one of the private beach homes. No room service or anything - though they may have limited service at times - this is the BEST location of any resort. I'd be inclined to avoid the beach villas - which are privately owned condos, many in buildings with no elevators, that have good to bad decor controlled by the owners. There is a new main pool area not far from Land's End Village, but it is a bit small given the size of the resort and the number of guests it can have. The biggest problem on South Seas is food. It kind of not up to par. The food at Casa Ybel is better, and also, you have more restaurants nearby. That said, none of the places on either island is truly like FS or Ritz resort. They are aimed at a different type of person.

But as I said, do not go expecting the Ritz, or Four Seasons. Service, whether poolside or housekeeping, is a major shortcoming on both islands. I'm willing to forgo all that for the location.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
9. Re: Best Place to Stay

One other property needs to be named, Pointe Santo. It's a condo complex with a fairly small pool, no pool bar or anything, but they have got a kids program. Some of the condos are high end and the grounds beautiful. Not a resort, but more than just a condo.

tmlowe
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Best Place to Stay

So much good advice!!! I've narrowed it down between an gulf front unit at Pointe Santo and Casa Ybel. It's exactly the same price for both - ~$2100/week.

Which would you choose? We do have a kid, so kid stuff should be a factor.