We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

virginia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

We will be landing at Clearwater/St Pete airport for a short trip to Sanibel Island July 12th. My only problem is I cant see to drive after dark, so I'll only be able to drive 1-2 hours if plane arrives on time. Where do you recommend to stay? I was looking at Siesta Key, Sarasota, Venice, areas. Somewhere I can watch a beautiful sunset, get a good nights sleep, and hit the road to Sanibel early the next morning! Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
145 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

We have done this before. We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Lido Beach. Good location, not far from the highway, across the street from the beach, walking distance to a nice shopping/restaurant area (St. Armand's Circle, I believe) and free wi-fi.

HTH, Lzy

ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/srqlb…

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

Terrific suggestion by Lzy... It will get you a great sunset view right across the beach from the water, be convenient to many nearby restaurant options, and a quiet place to spend the night. You might not even want to go on to Sanibel!

If they're full, check out Lido Beach Resort or Helmsley Sandcastle which are both nearby on Lido Beach.

SW Florida
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

I have friends who live near Venice and report that the sunsets are fabulous there - ah, I found a photo she posted. This is GORGEOUS!

…blogspot.com/2008/05/wordless-wednesday_13.…

It says she took it from Sharkey's Pier.

virginia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

Thanks so much to all! And what a beautiful sunset picture! Still undecided, but looks like any on the above will be great. Keep the suggestions coming! I'll try to post some pictures when we get home. Thanks again, Robin

SW Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

I am the owner of that sunset picture, they are incredible there.

You could also stay in the Siesta Key area, that is about a hour from St. Pete.

I am a travel agent, if you need any help finding a nice place to stay, I would be happy to help.

info@tropicaltravelandadventures.com

6. Re: Place to stay between clearwater/st pete airport and sanibel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island