We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have fallen in love with Sanibel!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
We have fallen in love with Sanibel!

We just got back from our trip to Sanibel Island 6/14-6/21. My husband and I left Friday morning, 6/13, with our three children ages 10, 7, & 4. It was a VERY long drive from Liberty Twp., Ohio and our 4 yr old had been sick with a virus since the Tuesday before we left. But we made it and it was well worth the trip!

Before we left, we had planned on going to the Shell Museum, SCCF, and Ding Darling Refuge. I must admit we did none of these things. We ate out 3 times and we did go on Captiva Cruises to Cayo Costa, but we mainly spent our time at the beaches. I believe we made it to every beach with public access and, of course, the beach outside our condo at Loggerhead Cay. It was amazing how, on such a small island, every beach was so different from each other. The texture of the sand was different, the current and size of the waves, the amount of shells were different, and the type of "critters" were so different.

One of the most amazing nights was at Turner's Beach just over the bridge on Captiva. We were so amazed with the number of whole shells just dumped by the Gulf waters onto the beach. A Blue Heron landed just a foot from my son and I while we were shelling and picked up a small fish that was on the shore and ate it right near us. A couple of dolphins were swimming not far from shore. We saw the sun set melt into ocean and then we turned around to see the full moon shining down. Of course reality set in while we drove back to our condo and the "Check Engine" light came on.

We did not go to the BP or the Shell Station on the Island to check our car - they were asking $85 and $89 just to run the diagnostic. We went into Ft. Myers and had a free diagnostic done at the Advance Auto Parts store on McGregor St left off of Summerlin when you go over the causeway. We then spent a few hours at Ft. Myers Beach. It was amazing at the differences between Ft. Myers and Sanibel. When you cross that causeway onto the Island it is like being in a different world. It's about relaxing and taking your time to really look around you - at nature, at your family, maybe even at yourself and seeing what is so beautiful and wonderful.

Loggerhead Cay was great. We stayed in unit 321 where the owner has left a lot of supplies for the beach, movies to watch, and books to read - it really felt like staying in a friends condo. The grounds were really beautiful. They really were putting a lot of work into the landscaping and maintenance of the establishment.

We ate at Island Pizza, Pinochio's and R.C. Otter's - I will give my reviews in the Restaurant section.

We went on Captiva Cruises to Cayo Costa - I will give my review in the Things To Do section.

I will also try to post a few photos.

The only shame is that the Island is so far away! There is only one Sanibel Island!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
11. Re: We have fallen in love with Sanibel!

"There is something so right about a place that makes you forget to do anything but play on the beach all day"

This is soo true. My son even said, "Wow, Mom you're just like a kid. When we are looking for shells you say just a little farther down the beach we can still keep looking." I think that is fantastic! We all need to nurture the child within. I want my kids to know me that way, not just the Ohio mom. It is also great for me to know that the kid in me has not been suffocated to death by the adult I am.

12. Re: We have fallen in love with Sanibel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island
Recent Conversations