We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanddollar

NJ
Level Contributor
226 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sanddollar

We're considering Sanddollar for an upcoming trip. Does anyone have any opinions regarding the facility itself, beach quality or anything else about the complex?

Thanks.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanddollar

We are here at Sanddollar right now. It is a beautiful complex, well maintained, small and centrally located. We have stayed here at Sanddollar three times. We are in unit A201, a two-bedroom corner unit, rented from Select Vacation Properties. The unit is recently renovated, clean, beautifully furnished and well stocked. The only two complaints (if you can call them complaints) are that the unit has carpeting in some of the areas rather than tile throughout and it does not have a ceiling fan on the lanai. The beach here is wider than at other parts of the island and even at high tide, there was room to sit on the beach. We had the pool to ourselves this week and there was only one other family in the whole complex (of 36 units). We will definitely return (again). Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanddollar

I like the Sanddollar but have one exception: The pool is on the inland side of the buildings so there is very little gulf view from it. For me that is a big negative but otherwise it is a very nice intimate complex.

uk
Level Contributor
287 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanddollar

We have stayed at Sanddollar for 3-4 weeks every year (September/October) since 1994 and my parents for a few years before that. Sadly this year we have had to cancel our Sanibel vacation to go and visit our daughter and her family in Australia. However, my mother and my younger daughter (age 28) plus boyfriend will be staying at Sanddollar at the end of October/beginning of November. The units are all privately owned and do vary - some are regularly re-modelled and others are in need of some attention. In particular there are two units owned by the same person (generally the cheapest units to rent) that really are a bit "tired". The grounds are well kept and the pool area is generally fairly quiet. Although it is not a huge pool we have never found it to be crowded and have frequently had the whole pool to ourselves. All the units have a beach view although the third floor units are best if you want to sit on the lanai and watch the goings on on the beach. The beach itself is fairly quiet and we have never seen it crowded when we have been there.

Which unit are you thinking of renting?

Sanibel
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanddollar

I LOVE Sanddollar! I moved away from Sanibel a few years ago (I must have lost my mind!) and actually came to vacation here and specifically wanted to stay at Sanddollar because it is a great place! It is a small complex, only 36 units divided up among 3 buildings and the grounds are kept up very nicely!

So wherever you end staying have a great time and enjoy our wonderful little island!

Newtown...
Level Contributor
422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanddollar

Having the pool located on the inland side of the complex actually worked to our advantage the last two times we stayed at Sanddollar. In 2006, the pool was a haven from the awful smell created by the red algae that had washed up on the beaches all over Sanibel. Thankfully that was not an issue this year, however, the wind on the beach was brutal this year due to hurricane Ike passing through the Gulf and the pool at Sanddollar is tucked inside the complex and has landscape screening all around it, which acted as a shield from the wind (as well as shade from the HOT Florida sun this time of year).

I also agree that some of the units at Sanddollar are more up-to-date than others, but from the on-line pictures, you should not have a problem ascertaining which units are more desirable. We have stayed in both 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units. The 3 bedroom units are my favorite -- with the master bedroom overlooking the Gulf. I would also recommend a 3rd floor unit, if available -- the noise from the overhead units can be distracting. I am already counting the days until we can return next year!

OHIO
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanddollar

I agree that having a pool behind a building at a condo complex is much more "comfortable" during the many "breezy" days you get on Sanibel...we only try to rent from those complexes that have "protected" pools...you can at least sunbathe away from the wind when it's coming off The Gulf!:)

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanddollar

As with everything it's to each his own I guess!

I myself am usually on the warm side and I like the breezes to keep from getting too hot. I suppose in late November through January the protected aspect might be welcoming.

I like to keep in touch with the gulf when I am staying on the beach. I just like the ambiance...

Lake St. Louis...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanddollar

I have stayed at Sanddollar before and it is nice. One word of advice. We were on the first floor and could not see the beach for all the vegetation in I believe building 1. If you are on the beach facing the units it was the building to the far right. THere is a long winding boardwalk to get to the beach. Nice pool area with a restroom to use.

Each unit is privately owned so make sure that the website you view tells you the year it was updated, and if the pictures are current.

I agree with the pool facing the gulf to view the ocean while on vacation.....but if I were staying in the cooler months I would want the buildings to block the breeze to be able to use the heated swimming pool. It can get very chilly starting the end of October.

9. Re: Sanddollar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 18:16