We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area To Stay?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area To Stay?

This will be our first trip to Sanibel Island. Is there a best area to stay? I have been looking in the Old Town Sanibel area, but I don't feel real secure in knowing what I am doing. I would like to just find someplace that is somewhat convenient to some good restaurants and the beach. Is the beach better in some other area?

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area To Stay?

Hey there. Congratulations on choosing Sanibel Island for your vaca, I'm sure that you will not be disappointed.

Now for a place to stay. Of course staying Gulf side (beach side) would be the most preferred, but, would be the most expensive. There are lovely accomodations that are not directly on the Gulf, but very near or within walking distance. Restaurants and shopping are not far from any location that you may choose to stay at.

It would help us if we knew what you were looking for. Motel, efficiency, condo, bedrooms needed, etc. Most accomodation on Sanibel are condo, offering 1,2 3 or more bedrooms, washer/dryer, full kitchens and rented Sat to Sat. Some do offer mid-week stays.

Old town is very quaint, but not much there. It's not like Old Town Key West by any means. Some of the accomodations are older and quaint, there is alittle shopping plaza with a breakfast/lunch restaurant (the Lighthouse Cafe), Ice cream shop, deli and island department store. The lighthouse is at this end of the island.

I can not recommend one area over another. Every spot has its own charm and beauty. All the beaches are beautiful and great shelling depends upon which way the wind is blowing, storms and tides.

Nothing is more that a 15-25 minute bike ride away.

Read through the threads here and ask questions.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area To Stay?

There is really no one area that is convenient to both beach and restaurants as the restaurants tend to be mostly along Periwinkle Way which runs down the center of the island.

There are a few resorts that have on-site restaurants most notably Casa Ybel, Sanibel Inn, Sundial, West Wind Inn and Island Inn. There is a new restaurant called the Twilight Cafe that is convenient to most of the West Gulf Drive condos.

For a description of the different parts of the island see:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34616-s204/Sanibel-I…

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area To Stay?

This interactive map helps you get a sense of where things are in relationship to each other...you will love Sanibel wherever you stay!

http://www.sanibeltrails.com/

4. Re: Best Area To Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island