We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

Ding Darling Refuge and SCCF Honor the Crocodile

On Tuesday, January 26, our one and only saltwater crocodile on the island was found dead on the East River Trail at SCCF, possibly a victim of the lengthy cold of January.

There will be a gathering in her honor on the SCCF porch on Thursday, February 4 at 3 p.m.. Bring your crocodile stories and toast her with a glass of Gatorade.

In her 25 years plus on Sanibel, she helped define our community as one dedicated to living with wildlife, even the big, beautiful, scary ones. She was unique in her 11-foot length (large for a female) and the northernmost of her species in Florida. Her guess-timate age was 40 - 60 years.

Her stories will always be told at SCCF and the Refuge. A plaque will mark her final resting place on East River Trail. Please e-mail your crocodile pictures to Dee (dserage@sccf.org).

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

RIP Wilma... how sad, I 'm really sorry to read this.

Thanks for posting, Slack.

Don't forget to wear your crocs also.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

:((

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

Bummer... Croc on Wilma!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

Thank you Wilma for the fond memory we have of you crossing the road in front of us while driving pass the Refuge.

The sound of 3 kids screaming and putting their feet up on the seat, as if you could get to them through the floorboard, will be forever etched in my brain.

RIP Big Wilma.

Missouri
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

Seeing her was always a highlight of our hikes on the Indigo Trail. I was also in her debt............a picture I took of her won me a 3 day stay at Tweenies several years ago.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

Oh I am so sad to hear that. She was one of the first things a local told me about on one of my first visits to the island. I never did get to see her.

OH
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

A sad result of Florida's unusually cold weather. All 11 in our family checked Wilma out every day at the end of February, 2009, as we biked. She was on the banks of one of the lakes behind the houses on Rabbit Rd and we could watch her from the bike path. At first we thought she was a very big alligator and then we realized she was a croc. She sure did get around the island from the what posters on this thread indicate and the stories we heard at the Refuge and SCCF. What big teeth you had Wilma (we viewed her from the opposite bank with our binoculars)! RIP!

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Crocodile (Wilma) passed away

Here's a blog post about Wilma along with photos from Sanibel Toots:

…blogspot.com/2009/05/sanibels-crocodile.html

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews