We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

I have been reading these forums like crazy...it's great to have such helpful people here! Thank you so much for taking the time to share so much!!!

My question: We (me, hub, 2 teens) are flying from Cleveland/Akron to Sanibel on June 4th. I was planning on flying into Ft. Myers airport, but I'm finding some cheaper fares into Clearwater. Obviously, it's much farther away than Ft. Myers, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it? I've never been to this area before and we don't mind the drive, but I'd like to know what the traffic is like? You see 109 miles and here in Ohio that takes about 90 minutes, but I know it's not like that everywhere.

Advice?

We are soooooooooooo excited to come to Sanibel! Thanks again for all the help!

Kristi

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

Kristi:

You should be fine flying into Clearwater. Members of my extended family have frequently done so when heading for Sanibel. Sometimes even into Orlando...whatever it takes to get to their favorite Florida place at reasonable cost! Once you are out of the city and on the interstate, traffic really MOVES. So, yes...plan on 1.5 - 2.0 hours

Flying into RSW at Fort Myers is the ideal for convenience. It's possible (despite current oil issues) that some airline will offer lower fares for the late spring / summer months that would allow you to get to RSW for a similar price to what you would pay for Clearwater. Question is...do you want to have something locked in...or do you want to take a chance and wait to see what happens after the peak spring break season....

First trip to Sanibel?? Hope you have a delightful family getaway and create lots of special memories!

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
852 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

We have family in Clearwater, so often fly at least on leg of our trip into or out of TPA; as others have indicated, it is a relatively quick trip, and we have never encountered serious traffic issues. Plus, we really like driving over the Sunshine Skyway (not to mention stopping at our favorite Cuban diner in Sarasota for lunch along the way).

Port Dover, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

Another option is Punta Gorda Airport. Direct Air and Alegiant service this airport, just north of Ft. Myers.

flypgd.com

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

We've even flown out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale for good fares. About a 2 1/2+ hour drive.

Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
502 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

Have you tried USA 3000 airlines? They fly limited routes and charter flights, and they fly into Ft. Myers but sometimes flights are limited to non-weekend days. We used to drive in from Tampa, and always liked seeing the Sunshine Skyway, but I must be a slow driver because it seemed like it ended up taking us at least 2 1/2 hours to get to Sanibel. We have flown into Ft. Myers the last several years, and it is so much easier and not that much more expensive if you really keep an eye on the airfares. Of course, flights in general are going through the roof right now with gas prices, so I hope you are able to find something affordable.

6. Re: Best airport to fly into for Sanibel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 08:20